Shoes with optimum cushioning, lateral support, and flexibility for daily workouts and studio sessions. See workout shoes
Versatile, low-profile shoes for constantly varied exercises including plyometrics, sprinting, weightlifting, and rope climbing. See CrossFit shoes
Shoes for daily wear that ensure a smooth walking gait cycle. Check out walking shoes
For people with normal pronation. Also provide support for high-arched feet with underpronation (excessive outward rolling of the foot). See neutral training shoes
For people with low-arched or flat feet and moderate overpronation (excessive inward rolling of the foot). See stability training shoes
Shoes feature stabilizing technologies for people with severe overpronation. See motion control training shoes
Good to know
Stability and motion control add-ons are uncommon for workout shoes and are never present in CrossFit or weightlifting footwear. They are mostly found in walking shoes where the gait is easier to correct.
Heel to toe dropMen: 6mmWomen: 6mm
WidthMen: Narrow, StandardWomen: Standard, Wide
Release dateJan 2017
Experts are training geeks, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
85 / 100 based on 8 expert reviews
The DSX Flyknit 2s are an excellent, excellent training shoe and I highly recommend them if you don't mind spending the extra money.
After training in the shoes, we can confidently say they're one of the best training shoes currently available.
The Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 are all-around good training shoes for general gym workouts and lifting.
I really like the Flyknit aspect of this shoes, it gives a nice secure fit; it gives a snug-like, sock-like fit.
Updates to Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2
- The Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 is a lightweight CrossFit trainer designed to withstand grueling workout routines. The "DSX" abbreviation in the name of the shoe stands for: Distance, Stamina, Cross-training.
- Banking on the success of the original Metcon DSX Flyknit, this version features the same sturdy outsole with the tri-star tread pattern for exceptional grip on various surfaces. The rubber wraps up both sides of the shoe, protecting the knit upper during rope climbs.
- Like its predecessor, this model uses Nike’s proprietary Flyknit technology for the top half of the footwear. The upper has been redesigned and now sports a sock-like construction. The Flywire technology is still present and adds lateral support to the shoe.
- What’s new in this version is the drop-in midsole. Though it is still 6 mm thick, the density and flexibility of this insert have changed. It is more flexible and less compressible compared to the old ones which appeared to be squishy.
- The back of the shoe lost its traditional collar and was replaced by a heel tab cushion. The heel clip is also less pronounced, but according to Nike, it’s more for aesthetic reasons than performance. However, this construction gets revised in the next iteration of the shoe, the Metcon Flyknit 3. It sports a generously padded bootie collar which extends up at both the front and the heel to keep the footwear securely around the ankle and eliminate undesirable heel slipping.
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 size and fit
The Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 comes in both men’s and women’s versions and generally runs true to size. It is available in D - Medium and B - Medium width for men and women, respectively. The sock-like design of the footwear makes the upper snug-fitting, which should be considered when purchasing a pair.
The Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 employs a full-length rubber outsole. The tri-star tread pattern delivers multi-directional traction. It is sticky in the forefoot area for added grip during sled pushes or other activities that require pushing off from the toes.
The rubber compound wraps the medial and lateral sides of the midfoot and serves as a rope guard. The textured surface helps the footwear grip the rope better when climbing while protecting the Flyknit upper from abrasion. The rubber also extends to the quarters and forms a heel clip that holds the back of the foot securely to keep it steady during explosive movements.
Designed with a low-to-the-ground sole unit, the Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 lacks a fixed midsole layer. It does, however, have a 6-mm drop-in insert that aims to bring shock absorption and protection to the underfoot. The removable midsole is also flexible to allow natural foot flexion. The component is made of dense rubber that does not readily compress to deliver a steady platform.
The Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 utilizes the brand’s proprietary Flyknit technology. This fabric was crafted in response to the athletes’ need for a barely-there shoe that fits like a sock. It has been applied in many of Nike’s trainers.
In this model, the upper sports a single, continuous piece of Flyknit that resembles a sock. The form-fitting material is designed to be breathable, flexible and durable, not to mention supportive during workouts. The low-cut profile allows for unrestricted ankle mobility.
Because of its sock-like design, a lightly padded heel tab is used at the rear section to keep the Achilles comfortable and prevent blisters from forming. Pull loops are present on the attached tongue and the back of the heel tab. They make it easier for a user to put the shoe on given how it lacks a traditionally adjustable throat.
The footwear has a lace-up structure in the instep area. It does not function as a closure system, but a way for wearers to customize the fit of the upper. The laces integrate with the Flywire technology. The cables become taut when the laces are tightened, resulting in enhanced lateral support to the midfoot.
An internal heel counter cups the back of the foot. It prevents slippage and delivers a locked-down feel.
Colorways and special editions
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 X
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 X is a special CrossFit colorway of the trainer. It features a black pattern of Swooshes and "X"s to represent the shoe's devotion to the high-intensity fitness regimen. The yellow pull tabs give a vibrant flair to the grey, black, and white palette of the model. The black outsole has been speckled with white for added stylishness.
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 AMP
This version sports the same Flyknit upper and sole technologies as the original, but what sets it apart is its dark color combination. The top is black as well as the sole unit, but it does feature a pop of color. The heel clip on the lateral and medial sides and the heel counter sports the College Navy shade, which is metallic blue in appearance.