Ahnu Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop
Best price from 30 shops
We earn affiliate commissions at no extra cost to you when you buy through us.
69% say it's true to size.
Out of stock in all 30 shopsAhnu hiking shoes
Overview of this review
Updates to Ahnu Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop
- Ahnu’s Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop, the successor to the first Sugarpine Waterproof, is a shoe capable of delivering a combination of comfort, surefootedness, and performance on the trail. Unlike its predecessor, this hiker comes engineered with Aegis—a technology developed by Microban that fights off odor-causing bacteria.
- Its upper has received a minor facelift. The pull tab seen in the original model is no longer part of this edition. That said, its heel reinforcement for rearfoot support has more coverage than the previous iteration’s.
- This lightweight trail-centric shoe is still built with Numentum Hike just like the one that came before it. This Ahnu-exclusive technology is responsible for helping the foot remain centered, thereby affording wearers with enhanced stability over rough terrain. It also contributes to the comfort provided by the footgear’s cushy sole unit.
Size and fit
A fairly true-to-size, low-cut day hiking shoe for women is the Ahnu Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop. It comes in both full and half sizes in B – standard width. Users can expect a personalized and secure closure in it using the hiker’s classic lacing system.
The Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop is equipped with a grippy outsole courtesy of Vibram (the same company behind the outsole found in Merrell’s Moab 2 GTX and Adidas’ Terrex Swift R2). Its ability to deal with slick and slippery surfaces is thanks to its heavy-duty low-profile lugs. These sticky protrusions are also seen around the sides of its forefoot zone, giving extra grip during off-camber maneuvers.
Adventure seekers can expect a comfy yet stable ride on the trail with the Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop’s Numentum-powered midsole. Its chunky construction, especially at the heel, absorbs shock on impact, making landings safe as a result. The Numentum Hike unit built into its heel zone—the element that bolsters the shoe’s stabilizing capability—is made of TPU or thermoplastic polyurethane.
Helping the shoe’s springy midsole in delivering comfort underfoot is the Numentum insole. Aside from extra cushioning, this insert also provides additional support around the arch region.
The upper of the Ahnu Sugarpine II Waterproof Ripstop is mainly a combination of closed mesh and suede leather. It is reinforced with waterproof overlays (also made of leather) to keep its interior free of virtually all sorts of wet elements as well as to help its exterior remain as abrasion-free as possible. Both its collar and tongue are lined with padding for a comfier in-shoe experience. Its forefoot, on the other hand, is engineered with a sturdy rand for enhanced toe protection.
Its lace holes are comprised of standard plated eyelets, each of which is constructed on a stitched leather overlay for extra durability. They work together with the footgear’s flat synthetic lace to keep the user’s foot firmly and safely in place.
- Those who prefer hikers with more ankle support might want to check out the over-the-ankle version of this shoe, called Ahnu Sugarpine II Waterproof Boot Ripstop.
- This offering is part of the “Ahnu by Teva” collection and may be purchased online on Teva’s website.