Who should buy the Mizuno Wave Rider 18
The Wave Rider 18 from Mizuno promises features and performance that stay true to the series that runners have come to love. This shoe is ideal for you if:
- You have moderate to high arch and want a comfortable running shoe for long-distance runs on the road
- You run marathons and prefer a running shoe that can properly support heel striking
- You want a cushioned shoe that is stable enough for neutral pronation
Updates to the Mizuno Wave Rider 18
- Additional rubber in the forefoot and heel for extra durability and cushioning against impact
- Updated outsole pattern for improved flexibility
- A firmer Wave Plate for better stability
- New upper construction for enhanced comfort while maintaining structure and support
Rectangles for better flexibility
The Rider 18 uses numerous rectangular-shaped rubber configurations. It gives the shoe more flex. Mizuno covers the heel with its ever-reliable X10 carbon rubber for more durability and traction. This outsole technology is also used in the Wave Rider 22 and in other well-known Mizuno shoes.
The forefoot uses softer blown rubber with a slightly more aggressive pattern than the rest of the outsole.
A firm yet comfortable Mizuno Wave midsole
Reverting to past model of the Wave Plate does the trick for the 18th instalment of the rider. It brings back the trademark torsional rigidity and firmness in the cushioning for more shock attenuation and responsiveness. Adding to the firmness of the ride is the U4ic midsole foam.
Minimal design for substantial comfort
A two-piece upper with minimal, but more substantial overlays covers a large part of this section. The mesh is highly-breathable while the overlays enhanced the midfoot security.
Mizuno places a small logo on the heel for some reflectivity with a hidden heel counter holding the heel in place. The tongue and collar are well-padded for improved comfort.