Adidas New York
Best price from 50 shops
We earn affiliate commissions at no extra cost to you when you buy through us.
25% say it's too large, 75% say it's true to size.
Out of stock in all 50 shopsAdidas sneakers
Overview of this review
Size and fit
The Adidas, New York sneaker, has a well-cushioned collar and tongue that augments the comfort secures the foot and supports the ankles. The vintage running sneaker has an EVA sockliner with Ortholite technology for odor formation control and enhanced support. The midsole is made of web-wrapped EVA for comfort underfoot.
This pair has a lace-up closure system for a personalized snug fit. The laces are looped on the TPU D-ring eyelets which further add an aesthetic appeal as well as support. It has a well-defined heel tab to aid users in putting on this pair.
Adidas New York Style
The Adidas New York was inspired by the 80s running shoe and has undergone a makeover for today’s fashion. It has a Nubuck leather overlay on the mesh upper that gives a luxurious look. The EVA midsole has foxing detail that adds aesthetic appeal to this kick. It is offered in various monochromatic colorways with often contrasting side stripes and tongue that make it suitable for any casual occasions.
The comfortable and stylish design of the Adidas New York low-top allows it to be worn on a daily basis. Many users pair this with the joggers or skinny jeans and tees. The elongated tongue also adds a flair to the design that is further given focus when they are worn with short pants. The Adidas New York is athletic enough for all-day walking while still being stylish enough for the happy hour.
To further appreciate the Adidas originals release, here are styling suggestions for the men-specific Adidas New York shoes:
- For Men: Styling the Adidas New York trainers for men is easy as its monochromatic colorways and low-top profile easily blend with a lot of casual clothes. The men’s Adidas New York shoes are best worn with slim and tapered fit denim jeans, joggers, and ankle or cropped pants. To further highlight its elongated tongue, it can be worn with no-show socks and shorts to give more focus on the vintage running sneaker. Wear them with relaxed-fitting tees, button-down shirts, pullovers and sweaters for a youthful street-style makeover.
- For Women: While the Adidas New York sneaker is a men-specific shoe, it can still be worn by women wanting to sport its slim-profile, elongated tongue, and retro running aesthetics. Women may opt to wear this shoe with skinny jeans and short pants to achieve an athletic, retro, and fashion-forward look.
The Adidas New York has a premium upper made of mesh and nubuck. These features provide luxurious elements to this affordable shoe. It also has the TPU D-ring eyelets where the shoelaces are attached. This kind of ring provides better support for a snug fit.
The “New York” text is directly imprinted on the rearmost stripe of the 3-Stripe emblem on the side of the shoe. This feature is different from the previous releases, in which the text was printed on the heel.
Another notable feature is the midsole that looks like a fish scale. It appears like a web that wraps the entire midsole. This webbing is called the Dellinger Web which provides cushioning as well as acts as a shock-absorbing mechanism. This striking characteristic of webbing details adds a plush vibe and unique look to the Adidas New York.
Adidas New York History
In the 80s, Adidas named shoe models after some of the major European cities like London, Hamburg, Dubin, Brussels, and Copenhagen. These shoes became some of the best leisure profiles of all time. Also, the Three Stripes company also named shoe models after the North American cities. They are the Boston Super, the Toronto, the Dallas and the New York.
The Adidas New York was first released in 1983 as part of the Marathon series. The New York was seen rarely on the streets during the 80s. It did not reach the popularity of the other Adidas running sneakers like the LA Trainer and Oregon.
As part of the famous Marathon Series, the running shoes like the Adidas New York were named after cities that hosted long-distance running events like the New York and Boston marathons. These models became the best running silhouettes in the 1980s but their popularity slowly dropped as more advanced running kicks were released by the brand.
Despite a not so ideal beginning, the Adidas New York pair is practical to own. It features premium suede with durable mesh and comfortable sole which make this pair very wearable. The materials used are the standard combination to form a perfect running sneaker. Undeniably, the New York did not abandon substance over style.
Adidas did not have a hard time coming up with a good reason why they named this pair New York. Aside from the fact that it is where the major cultural centers in the US are found and is named as the financial center of the world, it is also in New York where one of the world’s famous marathons, the annual New York City Marathon is held.
The New York silhouette has finally stepped out of the Adidas Originals’ impressive archive after a long period. The Adidas Originals re-release variation was launched in 2015. It showcases a lightweight mesh and suede upper for comfort and support. The Adidas New York sneaker model has a fish scale detail called a Dellinger Web in the midsole which makes it very notable to many buyers.
Nice to know
- The upper of the Adidas New York is made of OG mesh with Nubuck leather overlays for better support.
- This pair’s sockliner is made with Ortholite technology which reduces odor formation and further provides comfort to the wearer.
- The flat shoelaces are kept snug by Thermoplastic polyurethane or TPU D-ring eyelets where the laces are attached.
- The Trefoil logo is found in the latest release of New York instead of the Performance logo, which was used in the previous versions. This logo can be seen printed on the tongue and heel tab.
- The New York is also one of the many shoes curated by Gary Aspden in his Spezial Project.