|Update:||Brooks Ariel 20|
|Arch support:||Motion control|
|Heel to toe drop:||Women: 12mm|
|Arch type:||Low arch|
|Strike Pattern:||Heel strike|
|Foot Condition:||Flat feet|
|Distance:||Daily running | Long distance | Marathon|
|Heel height:||Women: 28mm|
|Forefoot height:||Women: 16mm|
|Release date:||Sep 2016|
|Type:||Heavy | Big guy|
|Width:||Normal | Normal, Wide|
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
86 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
This particular model has more cushioning than any of the preceding models from Brooks, and it allows them to fit like gloves.
This allows for some added comfort and stability for women while training or running.
Like the Beast, it is built for motion control, especially for heavy walkers and severe overpronators.
- The upper and the outsole get the bulk of the changes in the Ariel 16. This no-sew construction gives a better wraparound feel and delivers foot-hugging support. There should be less chance for irritation or hot spots while saving weight at the same time.
- The security in the heel is improved with the introduction of a new heel counter. With this added feature, the heel is securely locked from extraneous movements.
- Brooks ramps up the luxurious ride of the Ariel 16 from its older version by using a slightly more padded ankle collar. As it is lined with plush and moisture-wicking lining, comfort should be better in this latest version of the Ariel.
- The outsole gets a serious makeover in this road running shoe. From small and triangular rubber pods in the forefoot, the outsole now uses square pods that fill almost the entire underfoot. Better ground contact and stability go up a notch with this development.
- From that huge heel to midfoot cut, there is now a substantially small and thinner cut. It gives the shoe a firmer, more responsive ride.
Right off the bat, Brooks informs fans of the line that the 2016 Ariel is a bit smaller than before, so going up in size is a sensible thing to do. The roomy toe box should be a balm for those who need more than enough room in this area. Both the heel and the midfoot are securely locked down because of the external heel counter and external saddle.
Carpeting the entire outsole of the Ariel 16 are square pods of moderate size. These add to the shoe’s grip on a variety of surfaces. The outsole is very well articulated, particularly in the forefoot where the deep Omega Flex Grooves are found. They add flexibility to a very well-cushioned and stable shoe. Brooks uses what it calls the HPR Green in the forefoot for its enhanced traction on wet surfaces. A more durable type of this rubber is located in the heel and other critical areas for a long-lasting performance.
Three types of midsole technology cover the entire length of the Brook Ariel 16’s engine room. These are the Super DNA foam, the S-257 Cushsole, and the Segmented Crash Pad. They combine to give the midsole a well-cushioned, responsive, and highly-durable performance. There is also excellent shock-absorbing capability in this area as well. The stability of the shoe and other Brooks motion control shoe like the Addiction 13, is delivered by the shank in the midfoot called the Diagonal Rollbar or DRB. Enhancing the arch support and overpronation control measure is the dual-density post beneath the arch called the PRB or Progressive Diagonal Rollbar.
More than just having a very plush feel, the upper thrives on moisture-wicking features to make the ride as comfortable as possible in the Ariel 16 and that comfort feature is carried all the way to the latest Ariel 18. The Elemental Mesh and the fabric lining the interior both have these features. There are synthetic overlays and an external saddle that secure and support the foot really well. Add these to the external heel counter, and runners get maximum support every step of the way. A removable sockliner enhances cushioning, support, and luxurious feel in the shoe.