Extremely popular sneakers because of their price range, versatility when it comes to style, and freedom of movement. Almost everyone is guaranteed to have low-top sneakers in their shoe rotation.
Mid-top sneakers extend toward the ankle for a little more support and hold. These lie somewhere in the middle between low-top and high-top sneakers in terms of usage and popularity.
Sneakers with collars that go above the ankles for optimal hold and support are some of the most sought-after models in lifestyle shoes. Most of these shoes take their roots from basketball and have easily or fashionably crossed to mainstream wear.
Good to know
Regardless of cut, it's always good to start with sneakers that can be worn for the daily grind, also called as "beaters" by some, as these are usually cheaper, easy to clean, and still gives that lifestyle "edge" before going for those wallet-thinning models.
Sneakers dominantly take their heritage from running, basketball, skate, tennis, training, hiking, and football. Still retaining a few of their performance-based technologies, these sneakers have transcended their respective niches and have successfully and popularly transformed themselves as staples of fashion footwear.
Sneakers designed for a laidback, "cool" vibe that is built for lifestyle wear right from the get-go.
Good to know
Brands are now blending elements of performance and casual appeal in basically every sneaker. One can hardly go wrong with a sports-inspired sneaker or a simple casual shoe.
Good to know
Shoes sharing the same inspiration, history, materials, or technologies are routinely assembled under one compilation for the convenience of those who may wish to categorize or label their own collection as such. The classic collections like the Adidas Originals, Air Max 1, Air Force 1, new balance classic sneakers, and the Classic Leather head the pack of frequently asked about collections.
Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Adidas Prophere History
The 90s decade was considered one of the significant eras in the history of the sneaker culture. Sneakerheads were conceived, and some iconic silhouettes were launched during that remarkable decade. Some of the more notable models such as the Air Jordan V, Nike Air Max 95, Vans Half Cab, and the likes, were launched and hit the shelves during the last decade of the 20th century.
Before 2017 ended, Adidas launched a fresh design inspired by the 90s heritage. The Adidas Prophere displays throwback fashion that creates a nostalgic feeling, especially for the 90s kids. The brand achieved similar style from the 90s and engineered it with durable and comfortable materials and innovative construction.
Nic Galway, the SVP of Global Designs of the Adidas Originals, shared that the brand wanted to introduce another trend by creating a bold silhouette similar to the 90s fad. They took the vital and provocative elements from the 90s and connected it with the energy of the new generation.
The brand used some audacious details like the spiked PU midsole, leather heel cage, one-piece knit upper, and the Three stripes lacing system. The unique and noteworthy design of the Prophere sets another inspiration to the global street style.
Few Popular Collaborations
- UNDFTD x Adidas Prophere. Released in 2017, this $160 sneaker is outfitted with a striking camo upper with iridescent effect added on the 3-Stripe branding.
- Adidas Dragon Ball Z Cell Prophere. This match-up Adidas Prophere shoes display flecked green and purple elements to pay homage to Dragon Ball Z's Cell's perfect form seated on a thick white midsole.
Adidas Prophere Style
The 90s-inspired, low-top Adidas Prophere displays a neck-breaking design stirred from the 90s fashion. The bold and energetic look bring another level of style in the streetwear vogue. The upper is made of one-piece knit with pops of colors that sits atop the shaped thick midsole. Meanwhile, the nubuck Three Stripes add texture and give a trendy and sporty look.
The Adidas Prophere displays an unexpected profile that is highlighted with its aggressive silhouette injected with advanced technologies. The Riemen system, which was used in the 90s kicks, can be seen on the medial side of the toe box and on the heel tab of the Prophere adding visual appeal while providing added structure. Found on the midfoot is the wider 3-Stripe logo that also provides lockdown fit for added comfort and support.
Some Notable Colorways
- Noble Maroon. This cloud white iteration made its presence felt by adding maroon Three Stripes and maroon details on the heel.
- Triple White. The cleanest Prophere colorway to date, this model is dressed in white textured knit upper, off-white Three Stripes branding, and the light-colored midsole.
- Cookies and Cream. The Adidas Prophere Cookies and Cream has tonal black backdrop contrasted with white speckles on the upper, lace aglets, tongue, and heel.
- Real Teal. The knit upper with nubuck overlays on the side panels and leather slit on the heel is dressed in tonal teal color.
- Trace Olive. The knit upper has olive hue added with light green suede overlays and orange-red accents on the toe, tongue, and heel tab.
- This Adidas Prophere in tonal grey displays a stone grey upper with faint grey 3-Stripes branding accented with black and white stripes on the heel.
The Adidas was successful in fusing bold profile and modern tech giving birth to a stylish and functional kick. Styling this can be easy for both genders. For the overall remarkable and outstanding appeal of the Prophere, it is highly suggested to keep the whole outfit straightforward and simple.
Most gents style their Adidas Prophere with almost any casual attire, such as shorts, skinnies, joggers, cuffed pants, rolled-up trousers, or even with their activewear for a truly sporty look. Some men even sport this kick with or without laces as this shoe represents a cool modern sneaker.
Meanwhile, the Adidas Prophere women's sneakers can also be paired up with any laidback ensembles, such as leggings, shorts, oversized jeans, and even with their skirts to inject a sporty vibe to their girly get-up.
Fit & Sizing
The Adidas Prophere sneakers are available in men's sizes from 4 to 14 US in medium width and women’s sizes 5-15. This shoe runs true to size, yet some complained about the inconsistent sizing. Thus, many advised to try this shoe on before buying; However, if the situation doesn't permit, it is recommended to grab one's standard size. This shoe contains a one-piece knit upper with a lining that adapts to the foot snugly for a more comfortable ride.
One feature that sets the Adidas Prophere shoes apart from the other lifestyle kicks offered in the market is the presence of the chunky midsole with sculpted details. The PU midsole in the heel area is extruded slightly for flair and added stability.
Meanwhile, the nubuck leather Three Stripes give subtle branding at the same time holds the elastic rope-like laces. This feature also works as the shoe’s caging system for added support in the forefoot.
Another noteworthy feature is the single piece leather heel counter. The brand added some stitching design in the middle for extra style.
- The Adidas used a thick one-piece knit upper with embroidered lines in the medial for an adaptive fit and natural feel.
- The Ortholite sockliner enhances the comfort at the same time prevents the formation of odor keeping the feet fresh.
- The polyurethane midsole is considered heavier than the more common EVA, yet more elastic, denser, durable, and costs higher.
- The carved rubber outsole delivers superb grip and style. The heel and the toe outsole corners are smoother for traction.