Overview of this review
New Balance Niobium Concept 2: More freedom for the free hiker
If you drool over lightweight hiking shoes and put spunky sandals high on your “outdoorsy must-haves” list, then the Niobium Concept 2 must be right up your alley. It is not quite a hybrid (almost a shandal?), but its strong focus on versatility is quite reeling.
There are at least two elements that make the Niobium Concept 2 the versatile hiker that it is: its detachable back strap and flared heel zone. The former transforms the featured sandal into a mule or slip-on, while the latter makes heel strikes easier and transitions feel more natural.
And this is without mention of its J-pop design yet. So if you like lounging around somewhere in the city before hitting your favorite trail sometime after, welcome the Niobium Concept 2 with open arms!
Is the Niobium Concept 2 for you?
This hiking sandal is for you if:
- Town-to-trail escapades are what you get entangled with often.
- You only have time for short-but-speedy hikes.
- Extra cushioning around the heel is a must.
But perhaps not if:
- You are not a fan of bulky strap buckles.
- You need something more water-ready.
- The trails you tackle involve slippery descents.