For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WeightMen: 6.7ozWomen: 5oz
WidthMen: StandardWomen: Standard, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
78 / 100 based on 3 expert reviews
They're perfect in hot weather.
The Teva Original is a cult classic, and although it lacks support, it will always have support from a loyal following who swear by its benefits. If you're looking for a shoe to walk around town with and kick it at summer BBQs, this is a good choice for you.
Teva offers travelers with a comfortable and reasonably affordable sandal for trekking through all types of outdoors landscapes.
Updates to Teva Original Universal
- The Teva Original Universal is a hiking sandal that renders comfort and versatility. Its Durabrasion rubber and triangular tread pattern make the outsole wear-resistant and relatively grippy.
- The ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) midsole is both cushiony and responsive. It is also resilient to abrasions. The open-toe construction with polyester webbing and Universal Strapping System of the upper allows a secure, breathable and comfortable stride. Fine tuning the fit is made easier by the hook-and-loop closure.
Teva Original Universal size and fit
The Original Universal comes in whole sizes for men and women. Both are offered in medium width. Teva recommends sizing down if the user’s foot is between sizes. It uses a hook-and-loop closure for easy on and off. The straps have multiple points of adjustment for a more customized fit.
This multi-sport sandal from Teva features the Durabrasion rubber outsole. It creates a balance between performance and durability. The triangular-shaped pattern on the underfoot contributes to the traction and maintains a stable footing on various ground conditions. Moreover, this rubber outsole is flexible and lightweight.
The Teva Original Universal midsole is made of ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam. This material is elastic, eco-friendly and resistant to hardening. Likewise, it provides cushioning which absorbs stress from impacts for a comfortable ride. EVA does not absorb water hence, allowing the sandals to dry quickly after getting soaked.
The breathable, open-toe construction of the Teva Original Universal features polyester webbing for its upper. This material is known for its high tensile strength and resistance to abrasion. It also has a soft feel to it despite its strong resilience. This water-ready webbing allows the pair to dry quickly and does not promote the development of mildew.
The patented Universal Strapping System, which includes a toe strap, heel strap and a lateral strap, is also featured in this multi-sport sandal. It aims to retain the feet while engaging in activities without compromising comfort. The lateral strap prevents a significant change in tension during flexion.
- The Teva Original Universal is vegan-friendly.
- Teva recommends hand washing the sandals using warm water and mild soap. Use a soft bristled brush to remove dirt build up on the grooves. For a deeper clean, carefully bend the sandals to expose the grooves. Do not machine wash.
- To remove persistent odor, try Teva's recommendations:
- Mix one cup of antimicrobial mouthwash with two cups of water. Allow the sandals to soak for 15 minutes then scrub with a soft-bristled brush. Air dry.
- Immerse the sandals in a hot or chlorinated tub for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub, rinse and air dry.
- Put the clean and dry sandals in a plastic sealing bag and freeze overnight.
- Apply a layer of baking soda on the footbed and allow to sit for 8 to 24 hours. Strengthen the odor-neutralizing effect by putting them in a plastic bag after sprinkling baking soda.
- Depending on how often the sandals are used, Teva recommends washing them every two to four weeks.
- The Universal Strapping System was patented in the year 1988.
- It is a classic silhouette.