For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 29ozWomen: 22oz
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
93 / 100 based on 7 expert reviews
These boots are really excellent boots.
In particular, the Danner Mountain Light is built with functionality in mind, through and through.
It’s hard not to fall in love with these boots. Beauty and durability rolled into one, it’s easy to imagine these trusty boots lasting a lifetime.
Personal experiences with the boots actually exceeded expectations, particularly in regards to comfort and durability, and I’ve certainly found myself wearing them both off and on the hill.
Where these boots truly shine is in their crossover capability.
I wouldn’t choose them for a multi-day hike or anything serious, but for a casual amble into the wild, they’re perfect.
- The iconic Mountain Light from Danner has a vintage look that’s ready for modern day hiking challenges. The variation offered in its upper material grants outdoor lovers more option and functionality. The styles that employ full-grain and suede leather are lined with a Gore-Tex laminate for weather and trail protection. A non-waterproof version is offered for women’s; its upper is made of Sienna Cache leather with a breathable Dri-Lex lining.
- The hiker’s foot rests on a cushioned polyurethane midsole. Support comes from the full-length fiberglass shank. Thanks to a stitchdown construction, this cleat provides a wider platform underfoot. It makes each stride more stable.
- This backpacking cleat primarily comes in Vibram Kletterlift outsole. Its profile includes aggressive and angled lugs which yield traction on most types of terrain.
The Danner Mountain Light cleats come in regular sizes. Men’s come in wide width only. It has a fit similar to an average-width cleat. It is shaped using the 650 EE last which runs a bit long. Hence, the brand recommends getting a half size down. On the other hand, the women’s version uses the 650 M last. It offers a women-specific fit and grants ample room in the toe box area. The cleat’s lace-up closure enables hikers to customize the fit.
This mid-cut backpacking cleat has a Vibram Kletterlift outsole which grants traction on most types of terrain. The Carrarmato lugs in the center render multi-directional grip. The angled cleats on the side of the sole are aggressive enough to deliver a stable ride.
The Danner Mountain Light cleats have a polyurethane (PU) midsole. It renders durable cushioning and rebound for a more comfortable ride. A lightweight, fiberglass shank underfoot adds support.
The Danner Mountain Light women’s comes in a waterproof and non-waterproof version. The former comes in brown and black and uses a full-grain leather lined with a Gore-Tex laminate to protect hikers against outdoor obstacles. The latter, the Danner Mountain Light Cascade, features a Sienna Cache leather which gives it an antiqued look. It has a Dri-Lex lining which amplifies breathability, especially on arid conditions. It also prevents the development of odor and mildew.
For men, this backpacking cleat comes with a full-grain leather upper (brown, black and cascade clovis colorways). It lined with Gore-Tex laminate to prevent water intrusion and expel moisture from the inside for a comfortable feel.
Additionally, the women’s and men’s version of this over-the-ankle cleat use a one-piece leather construction with minimal seams to enhance trail protection. It is reinforced at the heel area for added durability. Its lacing system employs metal D-rings and open hooks.
- Hollywood actress Reese Witherspoon wore the Danner Mountain Light Cascade in the movie Wild which was released in 2014. It is an adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s best-selling book which portrays the author’s journey on the Pacific Crest Trail.
- This backpacking gear can be recrafted for an additional cost. This service includes part replacement, seams restitching and leather care which extends the life of the cleat. It is, however, subject for inspection to determine if it is eligible for repair.
- The Danner Mountain Light Cascade Clovis for men has a second lace option which comes in flat red.
The Danner Mountain Light Overton (men) is a lifestyle twist on the hiking cleat. It features a suede upper and is still lined with Gore-Tex just like its hiking cleat brothers. It features a Vibram Cristy outsole that uses a soft rubber compound optimized for use indoors. It has a soft rubber compound which cushions each stride while providing traction. The brand does not recommend using it daily on asphalt. It is, however, best used indoors on smooth surfaces.