For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
78 / 100 based on 25 expert reviews
This boot becomes one with you.
Asolo did a good job here.
However, if you need a boot made for the alpine and like the stiffness and protection, the Fugitive remains a classic.
A much stiffer offering than many rivals makes this a definite three-season boot.
- The Asolo Fugitive GTX is a comfortable, supportive hiking footgear designed for summer and winter hikes. The boot is lightweight, a characteristic that is attributed to its high-tenacity nylon upper. It is also waterproof, thanks to Gore-Tex Performance Comfort technology.
- The custom fit is provided by the classic lacing system which features three pairs of speed hooks for a firmer foot lockdown. The tongue and ankle collar are also padded for extra comfort.
- Foot stability and cushioning are handled by the workings of the boot’s PU midsole. It runs extra thick around the heel zone for impact and shock absorption.
- The Asolo-trademarked outsole is a contoured rubber construction that gives wearers grip on various terrain. It has multi-directional lugs that make traction possible from virtually every direction.
The Asolo men’s Fugitive GTX is a mid-cut day hiking boot that reasonably runs true to size. It is available in whole and half sizes. Wearers may choose between widths D - standard and 2E - wide.
The classic lace-up closure promises a custom fit and features an extra pair of speed hooks for added lockdown security, especially around the ankle area. The boot is constructed using an Asolo-exclusive lasting board to accommodate the natural contours of the male foot.
Asolo Syncro is the outsole technology that provides traction on tricky terrain and surfaces. This proprietary, mud-and-rock-shedding outsole is made of dual-density polyurethane which makes it durable, abrasion-resistant, and lightweight. The heel zone is constructed with Asolo’s Asobrake—a technology that provides adequate stopping power during descents.
Majority of the outsole has tread patterns and multi-directional lugs that enable the user to navigate uneven ground and complex terrain. Most of the lugs are elliptical. These circular lugs are designed to disperse water quickly, preventing loss of traction due to hydroplaning.
The outsole overlaps the boot’s midsole and upper around the arch area. This conscious design choice gives users additional arch protection and the footwear’s lower profile a slender look. The outsole also extends all the way to the forefoot zone, further reinforcing the upper’s toe bumper.
The single-build polyurethane midsole of the Asolo Fugitive GTX hiking boots is what primarily gives wearers cushioning and stability. It comes embedded with a Duo Asoflex anti-torsion shank which has a rigid underside for protection and a springy surface for comfort and shock absorption. This midsole tapers towards the front zone, giving the boot a toe rocker—a feature that aids users during toe-offs.
For added comfort, this boot comes with a removable footbed. This minimalist underfoot padding for an insole has perforations which contribute to the footwear’s overall breathability.
The Asolo men’s Fugitive GTX is a supportive yet lightweight hiking gear, thanks to its stitched upper which is a fusion of quality fabrics and suede leather. The upper is engineered with the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort liner. This waterproofing liner not only shields the boot’s interior from water but also allows moisture to escape with its breathable design (which is further enhanced by the tiny vent holes located around the upper’s heel zone). Additionally, this lining provides modest insulation which enables outdoorsmen to tackle a range of weather conditions.
The ankle collar and tongue are contributors to the overall comfort provided by the boot as both have adequate padding. The tongue is also gusseted to help keep the boot’s interior debris free.
An extra layer of leather serves as the boot’s rear heel protection. It is stitched securely to the Achilles zone. At the front is a sturdy piece of rubber—an Asolo-patented toe guard—that acts a protective bumper for the wearer’s toes.
Lacing up is quick and easy through the traditional closure system with riveted speed hooks. There are also lace keepers stitched to the boot’s tongue that hold the laces in place.
The brand recommends the following care instructions to prolong the life of Asolo boots.
- Clean the boots after every use. The footbed and the laces should be removed to reach hidden edges and corners. Use a brush and warm water for heavily stained boots. Asolo suggests using distilled water in areas with high-calcium-content water. Also, use a specialized shoe cleaning product to remove stubborn dirt.
- After cleaning the leather hiking boots, apply a waterproofing impregnation spray while they are still damp to allow the treatment to penetrate deeply. It is important to note that it takes 24 hours for the procedure to fully take effect. This step is recommended to be done regularly. It keeps water and dirt from soaking in the leather, thus preserving the boot’s breathability.
- Do not apply oils and greases on the upper. It softens the leather however it loses its stability and robustness.
- Air dry the boots and never expose to extreme heat. Stuff newspapers inside to absorb moisture which facilitates drying. It will also help retain the boot’s shape.
- Do not store the boots in a damp room as it can develop molds. Keep it in a dry, well-ventilated area.