|Weight:||Men: 19.5oz | Women: 16oz|
|Width:||Men: Normal, Wide, X-Wide | Women: Normal|
|Material:||Leather, Rubber sole, Suede, Vibram sole|
|Colorways:||Black, Brown, Grey|
|Special editions:||3 special editions|
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
89 / 100 based on 15 expert reviews
Danner put together a lot of great features when they created this boot.
Always had great grip with it. Keeps the feet dry and it's really comfortable.
They were immediately comfortable and felt sturdy but also very lightweight. For the first 10 days of walking I was very happy with my decision to wear them.
I’d happily wear backpacking, fishing, and to dinner in downtown San Francisco.
The Danner Mountain 600 Hiking Boot carries Danner’s legendary quality with premium protection from the elements and aggressive traction on the trail.
- The Mountain 600 is part of Danner’s Performance Heritage category which combines lightness and classic styling in one package. It is a 4.5-inch high, mid-cut boot that’s specifically designed for hiking on rough terrain. The upper, whether suede or full-grain leather, keeps water at bay thanks to Danner Dry—Danner’s proprietary waterproofing technology.
- The boot sports a gusseted tongue with ample, cushy padding. It keeps the interior free of debris and makes traversing sandy surfaces and scree slopes much more manageable. The moisture-wicking ankle collar is also padded which adds to the boot’s comfort and debris resistance. There’s also an Achilles notch on the back for better movability.
- Its hardy yet springy Vibram Specialized Polymer Elastomer or SPE midsole gives comfort and stability. It is created from a mix of synthetic natural rubber and EVA. It takes care of the cushioning without weighing the user’s foot down.
- The Vibram Fuga outsole (made of Megagrip compound) works with the boot’s midsole to obtain a balance between traction and flexibility. It has self-adaptive lugs and flex lines which optimizes performance on rocky trails.
The Danner men’s and women’s Mountain 600 is a boot for male and female day hikers. The designers used the DPDX last in shaping the interior of the Mountain 600. It grants the boot a roomy interior while still possessing a sleek overall profile. Danner recommends getting a half size down to get the best fit as this gear runs a tad large. On the other hand, the systematic placement of the riveted D-rings also allows for the even distribution of lace pressure, which adds to the boot’s overall snug fit.
With a Vibram Fuga outsole that uses the Megagrip tech (a type of compound designed for slippery grounds), the Mountain 600 delivers traction on a range of surfaces. The triangular, self-adaptive lugs are placed and positioned on the outsole in such a way that grip is sustained from virtually all directions. There are shallow ridges horizontally lining the outer sole that make the boot extra flexible during ground contact and transitions.
This grippy outsole is a one-piece rubber construction that extends all the way to the tip of the upper’s front, conveniently covering the sturdy midsole as well. This extension also acts as a protective toe bumper.
The Vibram SPE midsole is made with a combination of ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) and synthetic natural rubber. Its overall design is primarily built around comfort, durability, and flexibility. It runs thick for an extra layer of cushioning which also grants weight support and shock absorption. The outsole’s flex ridges also extend to the midsole which not only increases the boot’s pliability, but also gives the midsole-outsole form a sawtooth look.
Working in conjunction with the midsole to provide foot comfort is a removable Ortholite footbed. This default insole has basic cushioning features which include a slightly contoured heel rest for added stability. Aside from providing comfort, it also helps maintain the freshness inside the boot.
The boot features a nylon shank. It is a lightweight and flexible material that allows the wearer to move easily. It bends enough to follow the natural movement of the foot.
The Danner Mountain 600 hiking boots come in two variants of the upper. One is in suede and the other one is made of full-grain leather. Both are constructed with minimal seams and the materials used give its upper an overall stylish design.
It sports the brand-owned Danner Dry, a waterproof barrier which protects the foot against water intrusions and allows moisture to escape. Its ankle collar and gusseted tongue have enough padding which makes it comfortable to wear.
In place of lace holes are D-rings and hook eyelets that make up lacing more convenient. There are also lace holders stitched vertically along the tongue that further strap in and secure the laces.
- The Danner Mountain 600 was used as the foundation for the Timber 600—a limited edition product created by Danner in collaboration with Portland Timbers (an American soccer team). Danner markets it as a boot that can be used for hiking the toughest trails and cheering for the Timbers during a rainy-day match.
- The black (men’s) and saddle tan (men’s and women’s) colorways come with an extra lace of an alternative color.