Good to know
- The tenth iteration of the Nike Downshifter series flaunts more support. This keeps the athlete from falling off balance, offering a more stabilized ride.
- One of the noticeable changes made to the neutral running shoe is its revamped outsole design. It features amplified cut-outs that effectively trim down weight while maximizing ground adherence.
- On the upper of the running shoe, TPU overlays have been added. These keep the foot locked securely in place while enhancing the structural reinforcement of the running shoe. These barely keep any weight, thus cohering to the featherlight composition of the road running shoe.
- Since one of the pledges of the Downshifter 10 is to refine the plush sensation felt by the wearer, the running shoe's midsole has been made smoother. This is implemented without sacrificing the rebounding properties of the platform.
A staple to almost all running shoes, a rubber outsole has also been configured into the Nike Downshifter 10. It executes sufficient flexibility that accommodates the natural bend and flexes of the foot, highlighting comfort for lasting performance. Aside from its elastic trait, the rubber sole is also responsible for augmenting the strength of the running platform. For a fact, it is composed of a high-abrasion rubber compound that resists natural wear and tear, as well as, hazardous ground elements. Moreover, the outsole component targets grip, supplying surefootedness, and slip resistance. This aids in stabilizing the runner, preventing injuries caused by slippage.
As mentioned, the outsole engineering of the Downshifter 10 has been fine-tuned. To maintain its status of being one of the lightest running shoes available, the Downshifter sports prominent cut-outs on the rubber sole. Aside from effectively reducing the bulk, it also permits foot flexion. It is also intended to optimize the grip of the road running shoe.
Sporting one of Nike's renowned midsole technologies—Phylon foam—Downshifter 10 is geared for plush, responsive underfoot sensation. With such engineering, the runner's efficiency is kept at a maximum, thus increasing acceleration. The Phylon foam actually consists of TPU foam pellets that are compressed, heat-expanded, and then cooled in a mold. What makes it stand out from the rest of the standard EVA foams in other running shoes is that it's significantly lighter and more responsive. Although the Downshifter 10 is packed with generous cushioning, it still keeps a low-to-the-ground silhouette for better surface control and feel.
Layered on top of the Phylon foam is a foam insole that increases the comfort within the foot chamber. It also has superb shock mitigation that protects the foot from any strain or injury. It is also very durable, promoting lasting wear. Just like the midsole foam of the running platform, the foam sockliner barely keeps any weight, thus disabling drag.
Similar to the New Balance Fresh Foam Roav, a mesh textile comprises the upper of the Nike Downshifter. It is intended to serve as the ventilation system of the lightweight running shoe. This is achieved by the mesh upper through its numerous perforations that let in the air into the platform. When sweat is also accumulated during the run, the mesh upper effectively wicks away the moisture, keeping a healthy foot environment. What makes the mesh fabric an ideal upper material is its ability to conform to the pattern of the foot. This gives the wearer a glove-like fit, generating maximum comfort and security.
Complementing the mesh upper of the Downshifter 10 is its TPU overlays. These overlays exhibit high-strength and featherlight qualities that match the demands of the user for better security and fit. These are tasked with pushing the foot further into the midsole to encourage lockdown. These also reinforce the structural integrity of the platform.
To better the comfort within the foot chamber, a padded tongue and collar are incorporated in the upper design. These enhance the security around the ankle of the foot while pronouncing a plush sensation.
Permitting a precise fit is Nike Downshifter's traditional lace-up closure. It gives the wearer the freedom to customize the wrap of the road running shoe for lockdown.
On the sides of the running platform, the famous Swoosh logo is added.
- The Nike Downshifter 10 is available in medium, wide, and extra-wide width options for men. It is also offered in the following colorways: black/white/gray, grey/volt, and platinum/white.
- For women, the width choices available are medium and wide. The colorways offered are the following: black/black, black/metallic silver/fire pink, black/white/anthracite, obsidian mist/hyper turquoise/black/sky grey, and vast grey/fire pink/ember glow/white.