Table of contents Total NCAA basketball attendance by yearNCAA Division I attendanceNCAA Division II attendanceNCAA Division III attendanceMarch Madness AttendanceAbout RunRepeat
Total NCAA basketball attendance by year
- Over 300.59 million people attended NCAA basketball games since 2011, across all 3 divisions.
- Since 2011, the record NCAA's basketball attendance for one year was 30.96 million fans in 2013.
- Pandemic-affected 2021 season saw the lowest attendance in competition's history, with 173,592 fans in arenas, only during March Madness.
- 2020 season, also affected by the pandemic, had 28.37 million fans across all divisions, the first time that NCAA's attendance fell under 29 million at least since 2011.
- Division I is responsible for over 80% of total NCAA attendance, while Division III games account for only 6.3% of the total attendance share.
- Almost 27 million people attended Division II games, making up to 9% of total NCAA attendance.
- March Madness games gathered over 6.5 million fans over the last 11 years, accounting for 2,2% of the total league's attendance.
NCAA Division I attendance
- NCAA's Division I gathered 82.6% of the total league's attendance, with over 248.43 million fans attending its games since 2011.
- Division I record attendance came in 2014, with 25.42 million visitors.
- Prior to the Covid pandemic, the lowest attendance was in 2017, with 24.42 million visitors.
- In 2020, the average attendance for NCAA Division I game was 4,601 fans.
- The highest average attendance on Division I games was in the 2011 season, with 5,025 fans.
- 2011 was the only year where Division I had an average attendance of over 5,000 people.
NCAA Division II attendance
- NCAA Division II games gathered over 26.92 million people in arenas, accounting for 9% of total NCAA attendance.
- Record attendance for Division II came in 2016, with over 2.79 million people in arenas.
- Division II average attendance since 2011 stands at 2.69 million people per season.
- As for per-game attendance, the average Division II game since 2011 was watched by 674 people.
- The highest attendance was in 2012, with 750 spectators per game.
- In 2020, only 583 people attended a Division II game on average, the lowest over the last 11 years.
NCAA Division III attendance
- 18.82 million fans attended Division III games since 2011, accounting for 6.3% of total NCAA's basketball attendance.
- On average, 1.88 million fans attended Division III games annually.
- A record annual attendance for Division III games was in 2012, with over 1.99 million fans.
- The lowest attendance was in 2020, with 1.66 million spectators.
- 377 people attended the average Division III game since 2011.
March Madness Attendance
- March Madness attendance since 2011 stands at 6.59 million fans or 2.2% of the total NCAA's attendance.
- A record March Madness annual attendance was in 2013, with 800,377 spectators.
- The lowest annual March Madness attendance was in 2011, with 609,679 fans in arenas.
- Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, the average annual attendance during March Madness was 712,571 spectators.
- The average March Madness game has 22,233 spectators over the last 11 years.
- In 2013, over 22,233 people attended a March Madness game on average, making it the highest average attendance over the last 11 seasons.
- The lowest average game attendance was in 2019, with 19,159 spectators.
As the largest athletic shoe aggregator, RunRepeat contains summarized reviews for over 17,000 models across 16 categories.