Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 11.4ozWomen: 9.4oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 10mmWomen: 10mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 23mmWomen: 22mm
Forefoot heightMen: 13mmWomen: 12mm
WidthMen: normalWomen: normal
Release dateJan 2019
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
97 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
This running shoe is perfect for normal training. If you want to boost your performance, this will really be a big help. Because of the comfort that you feel, the support this shoe provides and all the other features, this can keep you running for high mileage.
Updates to Asics Gel Cumulus 21
- The successor to the popular Asics running shoe, the Gel Cumulus 20, has now been made even better. The Asics Gel Cumulus 21 features an even more improved level of comfort and support by integrating Asics’ innovative technologies in this neutral running shoe that will cater to everything that any runner needs.
- The Gel Cumulus 21 has now added the use of the FlyteFoam Propel technology. This technology combines a lightweight foam formulation with a high-energy return elastomer for increased bounce and unparalleled toe-off that offers a better performance in every stride.
- This 21st version of the Gel Cumulus also features the Impact Guidance System which combines interlinked sets of technical features that work together for more natural foot movements during the run.
- Also found in this shoe is the more refined stretchable Jacquard mesh upper which has been modified for enhanced breathability, comfort, and fit. It now has enough perforations that allow efficient airflow, thus keeping the foot cool and dry.
- The ComfortDry Sockliner is also incorporated in this shoe. It helps regulate the overall shoe temperature with its unique dual-layer cushioning system that combines the support of the base foam with the slow recovery foam for a more customized insole.
- Even more updates to the Gel Cumulus 21 are showcased in the shoe’s midsole with the Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning system. It is the technology responsible for the shoe’s premium shock absorption and cushioning.
- And last but not least is the improved function of the FluidRide technology. This exceptional shoe tech is a weight reduced two-layered sole that gives the shoe its improved cushioning and incredible bounce.
Asics Gel Cumulus 21 size and fit
The Gel Cumulus 21 comes in medium size D for men and medium size B for women. This neutral Asics road running shoe’s base fits those who have the standard medium sized heel. Also with the sizing of this shoe, going a half size higher than one’s actual size will ensure that the shoe will not be too tight when worn.
Similar to the well-known Asics Gel Quantum 180 4, the outsole of the Gel Cumulus 21 is made of the light AHAR sponge rubber outsole. The AHAR is an acronym for Asics High Abrasion Rubber, and it provides excellent abrasion resistance, and traction. It is placed in critical areas of the outsole to provide exceptional durability.
Meanwhile, found in the shoe’s forefoot is the DuraSponge outsole material which is a blown AHAR rubber that enhances both the cushioning and durability in the forefoot. The DuraSponge also functions as a shock absorber throughout the run, making the ride more enjoyable than ever.
The midsole area of the Gel Cumulus 21 is packed with the most innovative Asics technology. It features the reduced weight FluidRide® which provides the right combination of bounce back, durability, and cushioning.
The shoe also uses the FLYTEFOAM™ Propel technology which is Asics’ energetic foam formulation that provides excellent bounce and energy return. This midsole technology is made of a unique elastomer compound that offers great responsiveness no matter the duration of the run. It also utilizes organic super fibers that help lessen packing out the that usually happens with softer, low-density foams.
The use of Asics midsole technology continues with the SPEVA™ foam in the Gel Cumulus 21. The SPEVA™ foam is a spongy layer between the sole and upper designed to absorb shock and improve the shoe’s cushioning performance.
Also adding to the shoe’s midsole power is the I.G.S® or better known as the Impact Guidance System technology. This midsole technology is based on Asics’ design philosophy which is they aim to complement and not change the natural movement of the legs and feet. It combines four different types of technology for the cleanest stride possible. An external heel counter minimizes ankle movement while Trusstic technology keeps your foot in place and aids in smoother landings. The Guidance Line technology also increases stability, and the DuoMax technology dynamically reduces stress and evens the foot plane.
Completing the Gel Cumulus 21’s technology-packed midsole are the Rearfoot GEL™ and the SoLyte Midsole. The Rearfoot GEL™ technology is responsible for attenuating the shock received during toe-off phases, while the SoLyte Midsole which also has a tough material called AHAR+ provides exceptional grip and helps improve the shoe’s durability and cushioning.
The Gel Cumulus 21 is now engineered with the stretchable Jacquard mesh upper which provides the shoe’s breathability, flexibility, and customized fit. The mesh’s elasticity is multidirectional, thus providing freedom of movement. It is also reinforced in strategic areas to offer more support to the shoe.
The shoe also has a reflectivity feature which contains reflective materials designed to enhance better visibility during low-light hours. This enhancement guarantees the runner’s safety while training at any time of the day.
Besides the use of the new jacquard mesh, the shoe’s upper is also covered with the ComfortDry. It is an anti-bacterial material that creates a cooler, drier, and healthier shoe environment while running for long hours.
The shoe also features the Discrete Eyelets which are independently placed eyelets that aids in dispersing lace tension caused by tightened laces through a single eyelet. With the use of the Discrete Eyelets, it creates a customized fit feeling resulting in better upper comfort.
Finally finishing off the shoe’s upper is the Seamless Construction, it reduces the chances for irritation and friction brought by traditional stitches and seams.