|Base model:||Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator|
|Weight:||Men: 14.9oz | Women: 13.1oz|
|Width:||Men: Normal, Wide | Women: Normal, Wide|
|Material:||Leather, Mesh upper, Rubber sole, Vibram sole|
|Colorways:||Black, Brown, Grey|
|Special editions:||4 special editions|
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
95 / 100 based on 1 expert reviews
Obviously, there’s no ankle support there, but sometimes you don’t particularly need it. The inside of the shoe has got a quite high arch support. Again, we’re all different individuals so you might find that really beneficial.
- The Merrell Moab 2 GTX is a product for the adventurous hiker who is looking for comfort without sacrificing mobility. It has a synthetic, suede leather upper with a mesh lining that makes the shoe light and breathable. The leather overlay around the heel zone has been updated for added support.
- The shoe is made waterproof by Gore-Tex and a bellows tongue just like the first-generation Moab GTX. There is now a synthetic leather patch partially covering the bellows tongue where the lace holder is stitched in place.
- This version now has a more streamlined lacing system. The multi-thread laces are virtually the same, but the upper eyelets come in one pair instead of two.
- The upper’s pull tab at the back of the heel has seen a minor redesign as well. It is much more rounded, and its ends are stitched further apart compared to the pull tab found on the first Moab GTX.
- The midsole is made of EVA material for stability and comfort. The outsole, on the other hand, is powered by Vibram. This proprietary outsole promises traction on tricky surfaces.
Merrell’s Moab 2 GTX is a day hiking shoe designed for both men and women. A custom fit is achieved through the lacing system that features hook eyelets attached to the leather overlay. Adding to its comfy fit is the padded collar and bellows tongue.
The TC5+ outsole is what gives the Moab 2 GTX traction. It has treaded segments and features 5mm lugs that promise to deliver a level of traction on various terrain types and conditions.
The outsole’s heel and front zones have elliptical lugs—most of which are hollow. These round lugs provide grip during heel landings and forefoot maneuvers. The construction of the outsole extends all the way up to the heel line, providing an extra layer of heel protection, and to the front, further reinforcing the toe rand.
Mainly responsible for this hiker’s cushioning and stability is its EVA midsole. It holds the upper in place and is contoured in such a way that closely follows the sleek profile of the entire shoe. It provides shock absorption and comfort during ground contact, thanks in part to Merrell’s Air Cushion technology that is built into the midsole’s heel zone.
Embedded in the arch zone is a molded nylon shank. This non-metal shank is designed to give wearers a level of support and flexibility when traversing uneven terrain and off-road tracks.
Extra cushioning is provided by Merrell’s M Select FIT.ECO insole. This removable footbed has a more contoured arch and raised heel cup for added support. Its forefoot section is perforated to lessen heat buildup, while the heel zone’s underside has a cushy patch that works for the wearer’s comfort.
The Merrell Moab 2 GTX is an overall lightweight hiking shoe, thanks largely to its synthetic suede leather upper with a breathable mesh membrane. Its low-cut design, padded interior, and streamlined lacing system make the footwear agile, comfortable, and supportive. There’s also an updated pull tab on the back of the heel for easy on and off.
The Gore-Tex membrane and bellows tongue protect the shoe from water and debris, respectively. Protection from forefoot bumps and toe injuries, on the other hand, is granted by the reinforced rubber toe rand.
- Hikers who don't need waterproofing might want to opt for the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator.
- The second generation Moab GTX, along with other hikers under the Moab name, was inspired by the national parks surrounding the city of Moab in Utah, USA. These parks are characterized by natural elegance and rough terrain.
- Fur users looking for other shoes in the same line, check out the Merrell Moab Edge 2 and Merrell Moab FST 2.