9 Best Lightweight Running Shoes in 2022
With lightweight running shoes you want to feel like you’re not wearing any shoes but still get the needed protection and support. Be it a daily workhorse, a racing flat, or a minimalist trainer, we gathered the best to help you achieve your personal bests.
Having tested over 100 light running shoes, we know what makes a truly outstanding option.
Because the meaning of ‘lightweight’ varies depending on the category (a light daily trainer could mean a heavy race shoe), we have selected our top picks in five different categories.
Overview of this guide
- 1. How we test running shoes
- 2. Best overall
- 3. Best for race
- 4. Best for speedwork
- 5. Best for trail
- 6. Best value shoe
- 7. What makes a lightweight running shoe
- 8. Types of lightweight running shoes for every activity
- 9. Why beginners should think twice before buying lightweight running shoes
- 10. Lightweight running shoes and your body needs
- 11. What are the most popular lightweight running shoes in 2022?
- 12. What are the cheapest lightweight running shoes in 2022?
How we test running shoes
Any shoe that’s available on the market and weighs less than 250 grams (8.8 oz) in a men’s US size 9 makes it to our selection of light running shoes. Numbering 500+ models from 30 brands, including Nike, Asics, Adidas, and more, we take each shoe through a thorough evaluation process:
- Buy running shoes with our own funds to prevent bias.
- Run a total distance of 30-50 miles to provide in-depth feedback on each pair’s performance.
- Take each shoe on a series of runs with a total distance of 30-50 miles to provide in-depth feedback on its performance.
- Use our RunRepeat lab to measure 30+ data points and evaluate each shoe’s cushioning, flexibility, breathability, and more.
- Gather ALL available user and expert reviews to summarize the shoe’s strengths and weaknesses.
All things considered, we give each model a CoreScore from 0 to 100. The best-rated ones go to our “best” selection.
Best lightweight running shoes overall
Best lightweight running shoes for race
Best lightweight running shoes for speedwork
Best lightweight trail running shoes
What are the most popular lightweight running shoes in 2022?
- Brooks Revel 5
- Saucony Endorphin Speed 2
- Nike Zoom Fly 4
- Nike Flex Experience Run 10
- Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% 2
- Asics MetaSpeed Sky
- Asics Noosa Tri 13
- Brooks Launch 9
- New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2
- On Cloudflow 3.0
- Nike Juniper Trail
- Saucony Endorphin Pro 2
- Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next%
- Altra Vanish Carbon
- Saucony Kinvara 13
What are the cheapest lightweight running shoes in 2022?
- Adidas Nova Flow - from £43
- Adidas SL20.2 - from £45
- Nike Flex Contact 3 - from £47
- Nike Flex Experience Run 10 - from £50
- Under Armour Surge 2 - from £53
- Asics Gel Quantum Lyte - from £55
- Asics Roadblast - from £56
- Puma Liberate Nitro - from £57
- Puma UltraRide - from £59
- Merrell Trail Glove 6 - from £60
- Asics Hyper Speed - from £63
- Nike Juniper Trail - from £63
- Reebok Floatride Run Fast 2 - from £65
- Skechers GOrun Razor Excess - from £65
- Asics EvoRide 2 - from £69