Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
84 / 100 based on 8 expert reviews
It's hard to go wrong with Tevas— river rats and climbing dirtbags alike love them. And with some welcome performance upgrades, the Terra Fi 4 is a step above what you might be used to from the brand.
With these sandals, durability is an issue that you do not have to think about.
These sandals seriously kick ass.
If you like the freedom of sandals the Terra Fi 4s are excellent. I think they’re ideal for warm weather hillwalking and backpacking.
They are without doubt one of the comfiest items of footwear I have ever worn and are built to withstand everyday life but will also cope with any night life too!
Not everyone will want to walk in sandals. But if you’re heading this summer for some European trails, or even some of the UK’s maintained paths, and the weather warrants it, the Teva Terra Fi 4 is a good bet.
- Teva has now equipped the Terra Fi 4 with a PU molded midsole for utmost cushioning and support. The top sole has fewer grooves yet still functions as water drainage underfoot.
- From nylon webbing straps, the new version is drafted using polyester webbing for added comfort and durability. With its open-toe construction and customizable straps, these hiking sandals are able to render a breathable and fine-tuned fit.
- It is still furnished with the proprietary Shoc Pad technology and Spider Original rubber outsole. The nylon shank and Microban adds up to the profile of the Terra Fi 4.
The multi-sport Teva Terra Fi 4 fits true to size and is offered in standard width for men and women. Teva advised purchasing a half to a full size larger for those with wider feet. The adjustable hook-and-loop straps permit customization and easier on and off.
The Teva Terra Fi 4 has the Spider Original outsole. Its non-slip rubber compound works with outdoor and indoor conditions without jeopardizing its grip. Similarly, the outsole is designed to be able to channel water out to prevent slips and falls.
Providing a stable and cushioned ride is the PU midsole. This is supported by the Shoc Pad in the heel, a technology from Teva that combines PU and EVA as a unit. It distributes pressure evenly across the footbed and stirs impact away from the heel. This energy return process gives a better rebound on forefoot push-offs.
This multi-sport sandal has a nylon shank to stabilize and support the foot even on bumpy trails. It is flexible yet supportive enough, thus allowing the foot to move naturally. The support from this component is able to ease stress from the arches of the foot, hence reducing foot fatigue.
Teva powered the Terra Fi 4 with a zinc-based, antimicrobial technology—the Microban. This is embedded into the top soles and midsoles with the purpose of fighting off the growth of bacteria and molds. This, in return, eliminates odor and stains keeping the freshness of the sandals. Since this additive is incorporated during the manufacturing process, it stays in the entire service life of the product.
The fast-drying polyester webbing upper of the Teva Terra Fi 4 grants the user a lightweight and durable hiking sandal. Likewise, this is a robust material that makes it a good choice for a variety of outdoor conditions. It does not absorb water quickly and does not stretch when wet. Its resistance to abrasion is backed by its ability to withstand heat. These tough characteristics do not compromise the comfort from the webbing as it still has a soft touch to it. Moreover, its open-toe construction maintains a breathable environment and keeps water from pooling in.
- Teva indicates that sandals treated with Microban zinc are most effective when occasionally exposed to sunlight for about 15 minutes. Too much exposure, on the other hand, can cause damage.
- Teva recommends washing the sandals every two to four weeks (depending on how frequent they're being used). Hand wash them using antimicrobial soap and warm water. Do not machine wash. Use a soft bristled brush to remove dirt from outsole. Bend the sandal carefully to expose the grooves and allow water to clean deeper.
- To eliminate persistent odor, try the following techniques:
- Get one cup of any antimicrobial mouthwash and mix it with two cups of water. Immerse the pair in the solution for 15 minutes, then scrub. Air dry.
- In a chlorinated pool or hot tub, soak the sandals for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub and rinse with clean water. Air dry them.
- Allow the clean and dry sandals to freeze overnight in a freezer by putting it in a plastic sealing bag.
- Put a layer of baking soda on the footbed and leave it sitting for 8 to 24 hours. After application, tie it in a plastic bag to strengthen the odor-neutralizing effect.