Made of lightweight materials. They don't have much top-of-the-foot coverage so they're mostly suitable for well-maintained trails and summer hikes. Also useful for crossing rivers and streams. They come in open and closed-toe designs. See the best hiking sandals.
The low-cut equivalent of hiking boots. Comfort is paramount in the creation of these shoes so they often have flexible materials. Generally used for day hikes. See hiking shoes.
Mid to high-cut models designed for more aggressive hikes and backpacking. See hiking boots.
Specialized footwear. Often insulated and used in technical routes, ice climbing or expeditions. See mountaineering boots.
Good to know
For hikes that won't last for more than a day, go with hiking sandals or hiking shoes. Tackling trails with greater challenges will require hiking boots or mountaineering boots.
For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WeightMen: 14.5ozWomen: 11.5oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
88 / 100 based on 8 expert reviews
One of our favorite models for all-around use, this model performs well across the board.
Not everyone will want to walk in sandals. But if you’re heading this summer for some European trails, or even some of the UK’s maintained paths, and the weather warrants it, the Teva Terra Fi 4 is a good bet.
A comfortable but chunky pair of trekking sandals
If you like the freedom of sandals the Terra Fi 4s are excellent. I think they’re ideal for warm weather hillwalking and backpacking.
Updates to Teva Terra Fi 4
- Teva has now equipped the Terra Fi 4 with a PU molded midsole for utmost cushioning and support. The top sole has fewer grooves yet still functions as water drainage underfoot.
- From nylon webbing straps, the new version is drafted using polyester webbing for added comfort and durability. With its open-toe construction and customizable straps, these hiking sandals are able to render a breathable and fine-tuned fit.
- It is still furnished with the proprietary Shoc Pad technology and Spider Original rubber outsole. The nylon shank and Microban adds up to the profile of the Terra Fi 4.
Teva Terra Fi 4 size and fit
The multi-sport Teva Terra Fi 4 fits true to size and is offered in standard width for men and women. Teva advised purchasing a half to a full size larger for those with wider feet. The adjustable hook-and-loop straps permit customization and easier on and off.
The Teva Terra Fi 4 has the Spider Original outsole. Its non-slip rubber compound works with outdoor and indoor conditions without jeopardizing its grip. Similarly, the outsole is designed to be able to channel water out to prevent slips and falls.
Providing a stable and cushioned ride is the PU midsole. This is supported by the Shoc Pad in the heel, a technology from Teva that combines PU and EVA as a unit. It distributes pressure evenly across the footbed and stirs impact away from the heel. This energy return process gives a better rebound on forefoot push-offs.
This multi-sport sandal has a nylon shank to stabilize and support the foot even on bumpy trails. It is flexible yet supportive enough, thus allowing the foot to move naturally. The support from this component is able to ease stress from the arches of the foot, hence reducing foot fatigue.
Teva powered the Terra Fi 4 with a zinc-based, antimicrobial technology—the Microban. This is embedded into the top soles and midsoles with the purpose of fighting off the growth of bacteria and molds. This, in return, eliminates odor and stains keeping the freshness of the sandals. Since this additive is incorporated during the manufacturing process, it stays in the entire service life of the product.
The fast-drying polyester webbing upper of the Teva Terra Fi 4 grants the user a lightweight and durable hiking sandal. Likewise, this is a robust material that makes it a good choice for a variety of outdoor conditions. It does not absorb water quickly and does not stretch when wet. Its resistance to abrasion is backed by its ability to withstand heat. These tough characteristics do not compromise the comfort from the webbing as it still has a soft touch to it. Moreover, its open-toe construction maintains a breathable environment and keeps water from pooling in.
- Teva indicates that sandals treated with Microban zinc are most effective when occasionally exposed to sunlight for about 15 minutes. Too much exposure, on the other hand, can cause damage.
- Teva recommends washing the sandals every two to four weeks (depending on how frequent they're being used). Hand wash them using antimicrobial soap and warm water. Do not machine wash. Use a soft bristled brush to remove dirt from outsole. Bend the sandal carefully to expose the grooves and allow water to clean deeper.
- To eliminate persistent odor, try the following techniques:
- Get one cup of any antimicrobial mouthwash and mix it with two cups of water. Immerse the pair in the solution for 15 minutes, then scrub. Air dry.
- In a chlorinated pool or hot tub, soak the sandals for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub and rinse with clean water. Air dry them.
- Allow the clean and dry sandals to freeze overnight in a freezer by putting it in a plastic sealing bag.
- Put a layer of baking soda on the footbed and leave it sitting for 8 to 24 hours. After application, tie it in a plastic bag to strengthen the odor-neutralizing effect.