- Gender Size
Shoes best for road, track and light gravel. See the best road shoes.
Shoes best for trail, off road, mountains and other unstable surfaces. See the best trail shoes.
Good to know
As long as you stick to the road or path, and if you want just one running shoe, buy a road running shoe.
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
Footwear with few offers from online retailers and sold out in most sizes.
Shoes that have been taken out of production but are still sold by most online shops.
Shoes that just came out and have not received sufficient feedback from the buyers.
Shoes designed for competition, weigh less than 250g. They are fast but they offer less cushioning and support.
Low drop shoes usually have a heel-to-toe drop of 1mm - 4mm. They feel very flat to most runners and ideal for midfoot strikers.
Running shoes with 0mm heel-to-toe drop. Did not have to mean zero cushioning. They feel extremely flat, ideal for forefoot or midfoot strikers.
Shoes with superior waterproofing elements, ideal for long-distance and muddy paths.
Running shoes with some degree of water protection, usually they dry quickly.
These are bulky-looking shoes with large amount of cushioning and are widely used in long-distance running. Overpronators can also benefit from a maximalist running shoe because they also offer enhanced support or stability.
Extremely lightweight shoes with minimal to no arch support. The minimal cushioning offers flexibility and greater ground contact.
Lightweight shoes with lots of flexibility and comfort. Most Triathlon shoe also have drainage system to keep the shoe from retaining water.
- Arch support
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
- Foot condition
- Heel to toe drop
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
- Strike Pattern
- Number of reviews
- Arch Type
Good to know
Daily running shoes weigh not less than 250g. These are cushioned shoes designed for daily training. Go-to shoes with great comfort. -Shoes for competition usually weigh between 115g and 220g. Lighter shoes are faster, making them ideal for races, quick-paced runs, and interval training.
New Balance combines their technological expertise and years of experience under their belt to produce shoes of utmost quality and durability. In fact, shoes built by the company have been mentioned in more than 100,000 reviews which are concrete proof of their shoes’ undeniably great performance. The moment the runner laces one New Balance pair is the moment he experiences greatness at work.
What does New Balance offer in their best minimalist shoes?
- New Balance minimalist shoes are packaged in lightweight and extremely flexible shoes. Built with less technological construction, these shoes allows flexibility on all sides, whether it is from side to side or from forefoot to heel.
- Minimalist shoes produced by New Balance are available for track and trail enthusiasts alike. Both types of shoes are feather light and flexible. The main difference between the two would be the protection features and outsole configuration for the trail specific shoe. Protection is much needed on the trail for the runner’s safety while the more aggressive outsole of the trail shoe is for enhanced grip on mud, grass, rocky paths, and the more technical aspects of trail running.
- The indispensable responsiveness that are craved by minimalists is also sufficiently provided for by New Balance. Their top of the line midsole foams practically does much of the heavy lifting when it comes to rebounding capabilities. These pads are extremely responsive without compromising weight.
- True to their nature, New Balance minimalist shoes sit low to the ground for great tactile feedback. The low profile of these shoes eliminates hesitation when it comes to ground contact feel.
- Mindful of the fact that there are varying degrees of minimalist runners out there, New Balance offers a range of choices. In its line are minimalist shoes that offer a bit of cushioning while there are those that have zero cushioning at all. Elite runners can get away with really bare shoes compared to beginners or runners who are in transition from the traditional to minimalist type of running.
- Efficiency with each stride is achieved easily with a midfoot or forefoot strike. The minimal heel cushioning in most New Balance minimalist shoes would allow the runner to focus on a midfoot or forefoot strike. Once this happens, the runner normally picks up speed in his races or trainings.
- The New Balance's best minimalist shoes would be the closest thing to barefoot running. When the runner gets used to these minimal shoes, his tendons and arches would be strengthened to tackle the more difficult barefoot runs.
What are the deciding features of the best New Balance minimalist shoes?
- Structure. Structure, or the lack of it, is a general concept for minimalist shoes. New Balance offers only minimum or nothing at all stability or support features. Thus, it comes as hardly a surprise that the structure is almost skeletal.
- Heel to Toe Drop. Heel to toe drop varies among the best New Balance minimalist shoes. There is the 4mm heel offset to zero heel differentials. The range of heel to toe difference in these shoes is excellent for ground feel.
- Weight. Minimalist shoes are nothing but lightweight. It normally ranges from 7oz and lower for best performance.
1 best New Balance minimalist running shoes
- New Balance Minimus Zero v2 Road