For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 12.8ozWomen: 11.2oz
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
95 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
The Moab FST 2 is designed to be comfortable straight out of the box.
If you are considering a trail shoe for hiking and have an average width foot then this is definitely one worth putting in the mix.
Updates to Merrell Moab FST 2
- The Moab FST 2 improves upon its predecessor—the Moab FST—by possessing some changes to its overall design. Instead of TPU (or thermoplastic polyurethane), this new version now has nubuck leather as part of its upper.
- This gear meant for day hiking has also received an update to its lace holes. This time, only the top pair of eyelets are standard; the rest are lace loops made of fabric.
- Exiting from this edition is the Fit.Eco insole. This Merrell product now comes with the heel-locking Kinetic Fit Base footbed.
- The second version of the Moab FST from Merrell preserves the athletic style of its predecessor. The midsole unit is made lighter.
Merrell Moab FST 2 size and fit
The Moab FST 2 is a low-cut, fairly true-to-size Merrell hiker for men and women. It is designed chiefly for individuals with standard-width feet. Its sizing options are a combination of whole and half sizes. Its lacing system provides a standard approach to achieving a personalized and secure fit.
With its Vibram Megagrip outsole having a lug depth of 5 mm, the Moab FST 2 has the ample amount of traction for both dry and wet trails. This unit is made of a compound that’s grippy and long-wearing. Its sides are treaded which grants adventurers a bit more security during lateral traversals.
The lugs of these Merrell Moab FST 2 hiking shoes are adequately spaced to shed dirt and debris. As a result, they are resistant to slips.
The outsole also serves as the shoe’s protective shield as it extends upward on both ends. The rear portion contains a special pattern that’s meant for downhill maneuvers.
The Vibram logo is found in two areas of this component. One is found underneath, around the midfoot section. Another is located on the lateral side, in the heel part (which slightly encroaches the midsole unit).
Offering stability and ground protection on the trail is the footwear’s light yet solidly built midsole. Situated at the rearfoot area is Merrell’s Air Cushion which protects the heel from stress upon ground contact.
Within its arch zone is a molded nylon shank for added medial support. Merrell engineers chose this material so that the unit can provide ample flex necessary for hiking and enough stiffness to keep the arch from being overworked. It will not weigh down the foot because this material is lightweight.
For extra underfoot comfort, on the other hand, the shoe comes with the flexible Kinetic Fit Base insole. This flexible component is shaped according to the natural form of the foot. It has a heel lock which provides steadiness on uneven grounds while the arch zone is aggressively contoured for support. It comes with a mesh liner for added breathability. Finally, it is organically treated to control odor.
The FST 2’s upper is a combination of mesh and nubuck leather. The former is responsible for breathability while the latter adds durability and structure to the footgear.
It is imbued with M Select Fresh—another Merrell creation—to leave the foot smelling fresh for hours. This technology is applied to the lining and materials of the shoe. When sweat and moisture are present, microbes are triggered to produce odor. M Select Fresh agents halt these elements by breaking them down.
The midfoot section of FST 2 upper has overlays shaped like a ribcage. This construction supports the shape of the mesh material.
This gear is also crafted with a bellows tongue to prevent dust and debris from entering the interior. Its liner is made of breathable mesh.
The shoe’s classic lacing system mixes things up by having fabric lace loops making up the majority of its eyelets. The shoe’s heel and tongue pull tabs make on and off a swift affair. Lastly, the Merrell name can be seen beside the topmost eyelet, and its brand logo is found on the pull strap of the tongue.
- FST stands for Fit + Superior Traction.
- Moab stands for Mother of all Boots.
- The default insole of this product, the Kinetic Fit Base, is made of recycled EVA. In case replacement is needed, this unit can be bought. This removable component is sold in whole sizes and can be trimmed to fit footwear in half sizes.
- This silhouette comes in mid.
- The Moab FST 2 also has waterproof versions. Merrell uses two types of liners in their FST 2 offerings: Gore-Tex and the M Select Dry. GTX products are priced higher than the M Select Dry ones. The low-top ones have a ten-dollar difference, while the mid-top boots have a twenty-dollar difference.
- The Megagrip compound used in this product is Vibram’s answer to the demands of a variety of outdoor activities including enduro-mountain biking, backpacking, trekking, canyoneering and skateboarding. It comes in dense and soft formulas. The outsole company markets their creation as the most suitable high-performance rubber compound for extreme activities.
- This product belongs to the Moab line, Merrell’s long-standing collection of outdoor footwear. According to the outdoor gear company, these products (shoes and boots for casual settings and hiking) are inspired by the innate beauty and rugged trails of the national parks that surround Moab, Utah. Merrell designers integrate features and configurations that aim to deliver comfort, durability and support. This collection includes regular and wide widths in low-top and mid-top variants.
- Merrell does not sell replacement laces for the Moab FST 2 hiking shoes.
Merrell Moab FST 2 Care and Maintenance
- Clean the shoe using a soft brush, warm water and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly afterward.
- Remove the laces of the Merrell Moab FST 2 hiking shoes. Take out the footbed as well. Dry all components under room temperature. Merrell strongly advises not to use heat (e.g., direct sunlight and hair blower) when drying the shoe to avoid damage.