3 Best Nike Tennis Shoes in 2023
Is it your first time to try Nike tennis shoes or you are about to park your old pair but uncertain which Swoosh to grab? We hope our highly recommended listings will help you in deciding which one to purchase.
Several factors come into play when picking the best Nike tennis shoes including cushioning, speed, and price competitiveness. We noted all the salient and critical points in filtering our top choices among the pairs we have playtested and scrutinized inside our independent lab.
Best Nike tennis shoes overall
Best Nike tennis shoes for clay court
Comparison of the 3 best Nike tennis shoes
+ + Add a product
+ + Add a product
+ + Add a product
+ + Add a product
|# of colorways|
How to choose Nike tennis shoes
Nike is a brand that needs no introduction in the world of tennis. From Serena Williams to Rafael Nadal, the famous Nike swoosh has been seen on the feet of many of the world’s top tennis players for years, and for good reason. With its cutting-edge innovation and quality designs, Nike tennis shoes are an exceptionally popular choice for both amateurs and professionals alike.
So let’s take a look at what are the best Nike tennis shoes on the market today, and help you choose the perfect Nike tennis shoes for your next on-court session.
Factors to consider when looking for the best Nike tennis shoes
When looking for the best Nike tennis shoes, there are several factors to consider to ensure you get the right shoe to complement your tennis style.
- Court surface - Nike manufactures tennis shoes specifically to suit both hard-court and clay courts. For everyday tennis enthusiasts the differences may be hard to notice but for a keen amateur or professional competitor the reason the outsoles are made the way they are becomes obvious.
- Player type - Each player knows what style of tennis they play, and Nike tennis shoes are available in different models to accommodate each. From an aggressive fast moving competitor to a more laid-back approach, choose the shoes that match your type.
- Cushioning and durability - Tennis is a high-intensity activity that can be hard on your feet. Choosing a pair of shoes that offer the combination of excellent shock absorption while being hard-wearing is tennis utopia. To assist with that Nike has created patented cushioning systems such as Nike Zoom which is designed for speed and agility.
- Style - While every tennis player naturally strives for better performance, it would be remiss not to consider on-court style. It’s often said that looking good on the court helps make you play well, and Nike offers a vast range of stylish tennis shoes in various colors and designs to help you achieve your own on-court style.
Nike hard-court vs. clay-court shoes
Any tennis diehard knows that the difference in court surfaces can have a remarkable impact on the game, and the player(s). So if you’re in the market for a pair of Nike tennis shoes you may be wondering if Nike actually offers different types of shoes for different surfaces. The answer is a resounding yes!
Nike hard-court tennis shoes
The most popular and common tennis court surface is a hard court. However, its concrete base means it is also the most demanding in terms of outsole durability. Nike’s hard-court shoes are designed to provide players with durability, traction, and support.
They are often identified with their modified herringbone outsole pattern, to provide a mix of on-court grip and give. If you’re a tennis beginner, a pair of Nike hard-court shoes would be the best place to start. They are more versatile and can also be worn in clay or grass courts.
Nike clay-court tennis shoes
As a leading tennis brand, Nike also offers a range of tennis shoes specific to clay court surfaces, although the range is much smaller. These are designed to provide players with excellent traction on the slippery surface.
Easily identified by the full herringbone (zig zags) tread pattern, they have a more flexible upper to allow for better movement on the court - particularly important if you’re sliding around chasing forehands and backhands. Nike’s clay court tennis shoes will note that they are clay court specific in the product title and on the shoe box, while the hard-court versions do not.
Understanding the difference between Nike tennis shoes
Broadly speaking, Nike tennis shoes come under four different families:
Nike Vapor tennis shoes: Designed for a speedy and supportive fit. Models include the Vapor NXT, Vapor Pro, and Vapor Cage.
Nike Zoom tennis shoes: Exceptionally popular amongst tennis players of all abilities worldwide. Nike tennis shoes made with Zoom Air technology provide responsive cushioning to keep feet supported throughout a long match. Models include the Zoom NXT, Zoom Pro, Zoom Cage, and Zoom Lite.
Zoom Air unit embedded into the heel of the Nike Air Zoom Vapor Pro
Nike Court series tennis shoes: The ‘court’ series of Nike tennis shoes are also considered the best choice for other similar (but less popular) racquet sports such as squash and pickleball. Models include Court React and Court Air Max.
Nike Cortez tennis shoes: Casual, laid-back, and retro elegance and class. The Cortez has a certain style that’s instantly familiar yet made for on-court performance. Despite their heritage, they are also popular off the court as people enjoy wearing this style of comfortable tennis sneakers in casual dress environments.
Who wears what?
Nike has a long history of partnering with the best tennis players in the world. Let’s take a look at some of the top Nike tennis athletes and see which model they choose:
- Throughout her career, the signature shoes for Serena Williams was the Nike Flair 2 HC. With lightweight cushioning and brilliant comfort levels, these shoes helped her execute fast switching of directions and therefore accommodated her aggressive style of tennis.
- Venus Williams, sister of Serena, wore the ever-popular Nike Air Zoom Vapor X shoes for years throughout her career of winning on-court performances. A clean design with a lightweight feel without compromising on support makes this one of the most popular Nike tennis shoes on the market.
- Rafael Nadal wears a slightly customized version of the Nike Air Zoom Vapor Cage 3 shoes. You won’t see the exact model Rafa wears in stores, and that’s a result of him having chronic career-threatening foot problems and injuries throughout his career. Nike have collaborated with the grand slam star to create shoes especially for him, but if you're looking to match his style the Nike Air Zoom Vapor Cage 3 is as close as you’ll get.
- Despite being known for trying out different shoes regularly, Naomi Osaka generally prefers to wear the Nike Court Air Zoom GP Turbo. These shoes are best known for their exceptional responsiveness and feel, without having to add much weight or lose stability. If you like to mimic your tennis based on Osaka’s aggressive playing style, the GP Turbo’s are a great choice.
- Russian star Victoria Azarenka prefers the Nike Vapor Pro 2 for her on-court performance. Available in a range of beautiful colorways, these incredibly popular tennis shoes are a Nike favorite. With notable cushioning underfoot and a springy feel, a well-measured player who doesn’t mind a bit of style and flair will enjoy these shoes.
- Nike has collaborated with Maria Sharapova to create the Cortez range of tennis shoes. Available in both women's and men's styles, they have a classic retro look and a sponge-soft midsole. If laid-back tennis is your style, the Nike Cortez might just be the shoe for you.
- He’s no longer a Nike-sponsored athlete but special mention to Roger Federer who was wearing the Swoosh logo for a long time in his exceptionally successful career. Fed would wear the Nike Zoom Vapor X shoes to accommodate his on-court speed and agility.
Choosing the best Nike tennis shoes for you
No longer is Nike just an iconic sports brand, it’s also a technical and performance-oriented product and, with a solid tennis line-up, suits all types of tennis players around the world. Ultimately choosing the best Nike tennis shoes comes down to individual choices and preferences, including the court surface you’re most commonly playing on, the type of player you are, the cushioning and durability you need to move around the court, and of course the style you’re looking for to suit your outfit.
Nike offers a wide range of tennis shoes designed to meet these specific needs so whether you’re a beginner or a rising professional, taking the time to research, select and invest in the best pair of Nike tennis shoes might just be the difference between your next game, set and match.
How we test tennis shoes
The only way to recommend the best Nike tennis shoes is to be critical and hella nerdy in examining each of them. And during our testing procedure, we sure do stand by this!
First things first, it is fundamental to explicitly cite that we buy the shoes that we test using our own money. We do not patronize sponsorships but we choose not to participate in these kinds of deals because we want to be as candid as we can in expressing our opinions.
We are a group of tennis experts and we exercise our expertise by assessing the shoes on racket games, mainly focusing on tennis. We play in these shoes on hard and clay courts, both indoors and outdoors. We also observe how the shoes react when we are doing sudden stops, quick turns, and nimble movements in them.
We are not satisfied with that. We want facts and figures. And we acquire them through a series of tests in our lab. We measure a lot of parameters and compare them to other related models and to the average values. We also dig a little deeper by slicing all the shoes into pieces.