7 Best Low Drop Running Shoes in 2022
The “drop” in road or trail running shoes refers to the difference in height between the forefoot (or toe box) and the heel section. The higher the “drop” in a shoe, the steeper the angle will be between the forefoot and the heel.
Low drop running shoes are designed to promote a more ‘natural’ gait. Their overall construction is also a great choice for forefoot and midfoot strikers. Having a lower drop allows the feet to make a full ground contact instead of catching the heel first.
We’ve rounded up 200+ low drop running shoes in the market and tested all of them for this comprehensive guide. We selected our picks in five categories from the best overall to great options in road or trail running.
How we test running shoes
Our aim at RunRepeat is to make the lives of other runners out there easier and more fun. We do in-depth research and testing to give you the best low drop running shoes that suit your training and racing needs.
Here’s our following process:
- We purchase all the running shoes on this list with our own funds. This is for the sake of transparency and freedom from bias.
- We cut the shoes into pieces to get the accurate measurement of the stack, drop, and other 30+ parameters.
- Our testers give us their feedback after they put in 30 to 50 miles of running wearing a particular model.
- We gather more information from shoe experts and regular runners who have tried the shoes.
Finally, we give our final verdict for each pair using our CoreScore system, which ranks the shoes based on the aggregated data above. A final rating is assigned ranging from 0 to 100. All the best performing low drop running shoes make it here.
Best low drop running shoes overall
Best road low drop running shoes
Best trail low drop running shoes
Best Nike low drop running shoes
Best Asics low drop running shoes
Best value low drop running shoes
What are the most popular low drop running shoes in 2022?
- Hoka One One Bondi 7
- Altra Lone Peak 6
- Altra Torin 5
- Altra Escalante 3
- Saucony Peregrine 12
- Altra Superior 5
- New Balance Fresh Foam More v3
- Altra Paradigm 6.0
- Altra Timp 4
- Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 7
- Altra Vanish Carbon
- Merrell Trail Glove 6
- Saucony Endorphin Shift 2
- Altra Provision 6
- Saucony Freedom 5
What are the cheapest low drop running shoes in 2022?
- Skechers GOrun Razor Excess - from $55
- Merrell Rubato - from $65
- Skechers GOrun Razor TRL - from $70
- Saucony Xodus 11 - from $74
- Altra Torin 5 - from $75
- Skechers GOrun Razor+ - from $75
- Inov-8 Terraultra G 270 - from $76
- Saucony Switchback 2 - from $79
- Merrell Vapor Glove 5 - from $80
- Asics Fuji Lite 2 - from $86
- Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 7 - from $90
- Saucony Axon 2 - from $90
- Topo Athletic Terraventure 3 - from $97
- Altra Superior 5 - from $99
- Salomon S-Lab Cross - from $100