10 Best Basketball Shoes (Buyer's Guide)
Basketball is a combination of running, jumping, quick stops, and abrupt direction changes. Other shoes support some of these movements, but only the right basketball shoes support them all.
Why basketball shoes?
Logic says that because basketball involves a lot of running, it’s OK to play in your reliable Asics or Brooks runners. They’ve got traction. They’ve got a cushion. They even promise durability. But are these in the right amounts?
Compared to running shoes, good basketball shoes need the following:
Great traction. Basketball needs good traction because of the complex footwork that it requires. There are quick stops, jumping, and a lot of lateral actions. These are high-intensity movements that a shoe designed for running is not prepared for.
Slightly less cushion. Because of the complexity of their footwork, basketball players need to feel the court. Too much cushion can lead to dangerous movement miscalculations, slips, and falls.
More support. A good basketball shoe withstands immense pressure from aggressive movements. The extra stiffness and weight that it has make this possible.
How we come up with the top 10 basketball shoes
To come up with our list of the top basketball shoes, we spent hours scouring the web for reviews left by players, expert reviewers, and even ordinary users who also wear their Adidas or Nike basketball shoes casually.
Their scores are then weighted and averaged to come up with a corescore for each product.
Ranking of the 10 best basketball shoes
Based on 112,419 user ratings 670 expert reviews
- #1Puma Ralph Sampson Mid99Superb!671 reviews
- #2Jordan Jumpman Quick 64 colors98Superb!185 reviews
- #3Adidas Harden Vol 38 colors96Superb!433 reviews
- #4Reebok Mobius5 colors96Superb!71 reviews
- #5Air Jordan 11 IE Low6 colors96Superb!338 reviews
- #6Nike Zoom Rize8 colors96Superb!1000+ reviews
- #7Adidas T-Mac Millennium8 colors96Superb!131 reviews
- #8Fila Spaghetti5 colors95Superb!81 reviews
- #9Jordan Westbrook One Take4 colors95Superb!46 reviews
- #10Jordan Why Not Zer0.36 colors95Superb!83 reviews
Here is a list of all 492 basketball shoes, where you can sort by “best rated” and apply filters.
Top 5 most popular basketball shoes
Popular basketball shoes aren't the better rated ones
The best basketball shoes in every category
- Best Nike basketball shoe: Nike Zoom Rize (#15 overall)
- Best Adidas basketball shoe: Adidas Harden Vol 3 (#8 overall)
- Best Puma basketball shoe: Puma Ralph Sampson Mid (#2 overall)
- Best Jordan basketball shoe: Jordan Jumpman Quick 6 (#3 overall)
- Best Under Armour basketball shoe: Under Armour Lockdown 4 (#48 overall)
- Best cheap basketball shoe: Puma Ralph Sampson Mid (#2 overall)
- Best white basketball shoe: Puma Ralph Sampson Mid (#2 overall)
Which basketball shoes brand has better reviews?
Now, are you ready to buy basketball shoes?