10 Best Basketball Shoes (Buyer's Guide)
Basketball is a combination of running, jumping, quick stops, and abrupt direction changes. Other shoes support some of these movements, but only the right basketball shoes support them all.
Why basketball shoes?
Logic says that because basketball involves a lot of running, it’s OK to play in your reliable Asics or Brooks runners. They’ve got traction. They’ve got a cushion. They even promise durability. But are these in the right amounts?
Compared to running shoes, good basketball shoes need the following:
Great traction. Basketball needs good traction because of the complex footwork that it requires. There are quick stops, jumping, and a lot of lateral actions. These are high-intensity movements that a shoe designed for running is not prepared for.
Slightly less cushion. Because of the complexity of their footwork, basketball players need to feel the court. Too much cushion can lead to dangerous movement miscalculations, slips, and falls.
More support. A good basketball shoe withstands immense pressure from aggressive movements. The extra stiffness and weight that it has make this possible.
How we come up with the top 10 basketball shoes
To come up with our list of the top basketball shoes, we spent hours scouring the web for reviews left by players, expert reviewers, and even ordinary users who also wear their Adidas or Nike basketball shoes casually.
Their scores are then weighted and averaged to come up with a corescore for each product.
Ranking of the 10 best basketball shoes
Based on 186,450 user ratings 2,776 expert reviews
- #1Adidas Crazy Explosive Primeknit7 colors94Superb!105 reviews
- #2Air Jordan XXXII6 colors93Superb!215 reviews
- #3Adidas Harden Vol 38 colors92Superb!606 reviews
- #4Nike Kobe A.D. NXT6 colors92Superb!1000+ reviews
- #5Adidas Dame 48 colors92Superb!479 reviews
- #6Adidas Harden Vol. 28 colors92Superb!634 reviews
- #7Nike Zoom Kobe 1 Protro2 colors92Superb!125 reviews
- #8Nike LeBron 168 colors91Superb!338 reviews
- #9Li-Ning Way of Wade 691Superb!16 reviews
- #10Nike Zoom Rize8 colors91Superb!1000+ reviews
Here is a list of all 478 basketball shoes, where you can sort by “best rated” and apply filters.
Top 5 most popular basketball shoes
Popular basketball shoes aren't the better rated ones
The best basketball shoes in every category
- Best Air Jordan 1 basketball shoe: Air Jordan 1 Retro High (#278 overall)
- Best Nike basketball shoe: Nike Kobe A.D. NXT (#3 overall)
- Best Adidas basketball shoe: Adidas Crazy Explosive Primeknit (#1 overall)
- Best Reebok Question basketball shoe: Reebok Question Mid A5 (#348 overall)
- Best Puma basketball shoe: Puma Sky Dreamer (#16 overall)
- Best Jordan Jumpman basketball shoe: Jordan Jumpman Quick 6 (#14 overall)
- Best Jordan basketball shoe: Air Jordan XXXII (#2 overall)
- Best Converse basketball shoe: Converse All Star Pro BB (#170 overall)
Now, are you ready to buy basketball shoes?