Overview of this review
Altra Lone Peak Hiker: Who is it for?
The easy answer to this sensible question is: “for those who like something versatile.” While there is no doubt that the Lone Peak Hiker is for folks who like being anywhere between cityscapes and nature trails, the shoe in question is also for:
- Those who like to transition from their Loan Peak 5.0s to something more rugged- and hike-oriented.
- Hikers who like lightness more than ankle support in their hiking boots.
- Adventurers who are done with getting their toes squished.
- Trail-goers who like outsoles that shed mud and debris just by moving about.
- Outdoorsy individuals who like traveling urban and backcountry distances with a light pack in tow.
- Seekers of budget-friendly hiking boots.
Altra’s Lone Peak Hiker: The catch
As attractive as the Lone Peak Hiker is when it comes to versatility and general performance, the featured boot still comes with a few caveats. Listed below are what we mean:
- The Lone Peak Hiker having no heel brake can make going down slippery slopes trickier.
- You are trading forefoot precision for toe splay in this Altra offering.
- While its midsole is above-sufficient in the cushioning department, the medial support it offers might not be enough for those who need it the most since it lacks a shank.