DiscontinuedUpdate: Merrell Agility Peak Flex 3
Neutral / cushion / high arch
Shoes for runners who do not need any additional arch support (Around 50% of runners). Best for people with normal, high or medium high arches. See the best neutral shoes.
Stability / overpronation / normal arch
Shoes for runners who need mild to moderate arch support (Around 45% of runners). Best for runners with a low arch. See the best stability shoes.
Motion control / severe overpronation / flat feet
Shoes for runners who needs a lot of arch support. Best for runners with flat feet. See the best motion control shoes.
Good to know
Cushioned shoes for your daily easy running. Great comfort. See best shoes for daily running.
Lightweight shoes good for races, interval training, tempo runs and fartlek. Here are the best competition running shoes.
Good to know
If you want just one pair of shoes, buy a shoe for daily running.
WeightMen: 11.1ozWomen: 9oz
Heel to toe dropMen: 6mmWomen: 6mm
The height difference from the heel to the forefoot, also known as heel drop, toe spring, heel to toe spring or simply drop.
There are many opinions about what a good heel drop is. We do not recommend any in particular. Lean more in this video.
Heel heightMen: 33mmWomen: 33mm
Forefoot heightMen: 27mmWomen: 27mm
WidthMen: StandardWomen: Standard, Wide
Release dateNov 2016
Experts are runners, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
84 / 100 based on 5 expert reviews
I think it's a shoe that doesn't get enough trial and error. And, I think it's definitely time to check it out because, again, Merell is killing it lately.
In an attempt to make this shoe flex both up and down—mimicking a bare foot—Merrell cut grooves into the top of the midsole foam to complement those under the sole. Tests in the RW Shoe Lab show traditional flexibility—bending the forefoot on toe-off—is stiff, and wear-testers reported a similar feeling. Likely contributing to this is the rock plate in both the heel and forefoot that shields your foot from rough trails. But testers gave it high marks for the balance of weight and cushioning that made the shoe smoothly conquer a variety of trails.
Overall, the Merrell Agility Peak Flex is a great shoe for any lady looking for ample arch support and a uniquely flexible forefoot. We'd recommend it for after work training sessions or for tackling ultra distances in tough terrain. In addition, we also liked it for day hikes.
The Merrell Agility Peak Flex has not been getting the publicity that I think it deserves. It’s easily one of the most competitive shoe out there that can keep up with the demands of the trails here in our country. I highly recommend it to climbers who have grown to love Merrell’s products and wants to discover the world of trail running.
Updates to Merrell Agility Peak Flex
- The Merrell Agility Peak Flex uses a mesh upper with a mud-resistant coverage that adds to its durability. The top is composed of a seamless, soft fabric with the Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing closure, which ensures a glove-like fit for the runner's foot.
- It also utilizes M Select Fresh agents in the construction of its upper and they are responsible for the disruption of unpleasant odors. This keeps the shoe clean and fresh for a longer period of time.
- The interesting reflective design of the upper enables the shoe's visibility in the dark. The shoe also has the EVA Removable Footbed, which ensures a better experience of comfort and cushioning for the runner.
- The midsole of Merrell Peak Flex features the EVA material. This material is flexible, responsive and durable. The EVA midsole along with the FLEXconnect™ technology results in a balanced and agile movement for the wearers on uneven terrains, while also presenting a reliable and a soft-cushioned environment.
- Lastly, M Select™ GRIP+ technology has been used in the shoe's outsole to ensure stable movement and the needed traction on wet and dry surfaces. This technique is actually a skeleton-inspired design and it follows the natural anatomy of the human foot. With this outline, runners are able to move more naturally through the gait cycle.
Merrell Agility Peak Flex size and fit
Merrell Agility Peak Flex is available in the standard medium widths of D and B for men and women respectively. This shoe is slightly larger than the regular measurements. It is recommended for runners to purchase ½ size smaller in order to get a more agreeable fit.
The outsole of Merrell Agility Peak Flex employs the M Select™ GRIP+ mechanism for enhanced traction. It actually has a skeletal lugged design, which extends throughout the outsole and is responsible for multi-directional traction and natural foot flexibility. This saves the runner from worrying about the slips and injuries.
The midsole of the Peak Flex has the FLEXconnect™ EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) compound - a very soft, durable and lightweight material that performs well even in the harshest conditions. This foam also has flex grooves. These small indentations make the platform more adherent to the natural motion of the foot.
The shoe is also provided with a removable sock-liner called the EVA Removable Footbed. It is used under the foot for additional cushioning. As a result of this sock-liner, the runners get a more comfortable and plush feel while running. As suggested by its name, it can be removed or replaced.
The upper of the shoe has the fabric mesh material with TPU coverage, which is not only durable but also mud resistant. The technique prevents the shoe from wear and tear, as well as mud infiltration. The Hyperlock molded TPU heel counter helps in locking the foot in place and preventing it from exiting the shoe accidentally.
The Merrell Omni-Fit™ lacing system helps in keeping the foot in its proper position. It works in cooperation with the padded collar & tongue, and it provides a glove-like fit to the user.
The M Select Fresh construction keeps the interior environment healthy and clean by staving off odor-causing microbes.
The shoe also has a sock-liner called EVA Removable Footbed. It may be placed under the foot for additional cushioning.
Reflective Detailing makes the Agility Peak Flex more visible in the dark. This gives the runner the additional benefit of performing well even in low-light conditions.