|Collection:||Asics Gel Lyte|
|Material:||Gel, Leather, Rubber Sole, Suede|
|Colorways:||Beige, Black, Blue, Brown, Gold, Green, Grey, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Silver, White, Yellow|
|SKUs:||1191A223001, 1191A266101, 1191A298001, 1191A298020, DN6L09090, H6Z0L9090, H7Y0L9090, H7ZNQ9690, HL6A29090, HL7U23131|
Reviews from around the internet
Despite the absence of the regular tongue, the Gel-Lyte III still delivers a decent fit. It runs true to size. It offers a comfortable fit to narrow-footed users and to those with medium foot measurements. The Asics Gel Lyte III is a unisex shoe.
This low-top sneaker has a combination of durable leather and mesh uppers that offer foot comfort and breathability. With a cushioned split tongue, it has a lace-up closure system that gives a flexible and adjustable fit. It utilizes a cushioned footbed, as well as textile lining, that delivers all-day comfort. It also uses a rubber outsole with flex grooves that give not only reliable traction but also added comfort.
With a combination of performance and style, the Gel Lyte III, among Asics Tiger's most-wanted sneakers, is a worthy addition to anyone’s arsenal. It has a low-cut silhouette that allows sufficient ankle mobility. The classic design and the split tongue make this shoe appealing. Its retro appeal and classic style make this a sneaker for almost all occasions and is practically a year-round favorite among many fans.
This sneaker would not disappoint you when paired with jeans and shorts as they are all versatile wardrobe items. Below are some of the suggested ways to style and wear the Asics Tiger Gel Lyte III:
- Ladies can make a colorful outfit by choosing one color and mixing them with a clean white palette and matching the get-up with a pair of Asics Gel Lyte III in all white.
- You can show off a brightly colored pair like the green or all-red Asics Tiger Gel Lyte III sneakers by pairing it with a head-to-toe white outfit.
- A pair of black or white Asics Gel Lyte III looks perfectly good with denim jeans and an off-shoulder top for a retro yet sophisticated look.
- For a sporty look, ladies can wear sneakers with joggers, a white shirt and a hoodie top.
- The low-top Asics Gel Lyte III can create a polished look when paired with straight-legged or skinny jeans. Cuff the pants and show your ankle bone. Wear ankle socks or better not to wear socks at all, no matter what the weather is.
- To avoid looking like a schoolboy, pair these running-inspired kicks with short shorts and not with those over-the-knee-length shorts.
- Men can wear this sneaker and match it with their joggers and a shirt for a sporty look.
- Elevate your style by wearing a pair of the Asics Gel Lyte III in all white with black jeans and white tops.
Some of the basic rules in styling sneakers like the Gel Lyte III
- The color matches whenever you can.
- Find some of the styles you prefer and stick with them.
- Always buy sneakers that suit your current outfits.
- Although sneakers are versatile, they are not a substitute for dress shoes. Always wear them on the right occasions.
- Always keep your sneakers clean. It is important to do proper maintenance so that the cool effect of your sneakers will not be lost.
Two things are most prominent in the Asics Gel Lyte-III. First and foremost is the classic and trademark split tongue. Rarely can one see a shoe that still uses this technology, particularly since its original DNA of a true-blue runner. However, Asics successfully used this technology because of the exceptional hold provided by both overlays and underlays.
The second feature that is almost invisible is the three-density cushioning. Although the Gel-Lyte III is now basically a retro shoe that fashion aficionados have a deep-affinity for, this remains to be a shoe that is tailored to take the runner from the starting line to the finishing point.
The cushioning offers enough shock-absorbing qualities and responsiveness that still makes the shoe a solid trainer. For sneaker fans, it only makes the shoe comfortable as the cushioning significantly absorbs shock and makes the shoe even more durable.
The Asics Gel-Lyte III was designed by Shigeyuki Mitsui and was originally released in 1990. It was branded as an ultimate performance running shoe since it was lighter, more pleasing, and performance-driven than many other shoes at that time. It featured the iconic split tongue that replaced the traditional design found in most shoes. In the world of fashion, the split tongue was the main selling point, but for runners, it was the tri-density compression-molded EVA midsole that really stood out.
Unknown to many, Mitsui had to face fierce opposition from within the ranks of Asics itself, even before the Gel-Lyte III saw the light of day. Like the birth of many innovative and out-of-the-box ideas, the proposed design and aesthetics offended more than a few of Mitsui’s bosses. They feared that the Asics’ idea of performance over style would be compromised by this new shoe.
Luckily, they eventually came to their senses, and the shoe was approved for construction and release. In hindsight, they could not have figured out that the performance and style of the shoe would eventually make it one of the most sought-after in Asics’ history.
When the shoe was unveiled, it caused quite a stir in the running community as it radically changed the concept of how a running shoe should look. The Gel-Lyte III immediately pushed the boundaries of lifestyle and performance shoes with its eye-catching colors and unique design.
Coupled with the well-muscled upper construction and the meaty sole, runners were up for a surprise during the shoe’s release. True to Asics' commitment of performance-driven shoes, the Gel-Lyte III ranked as one of the surprising underdogs as a top running shoe in the early part of the 90s mainly because it addressed the needs of runners for more cushioning and support.
Colorways and collaborations
Two years after its first release, the Gel-Lyte III was gone. It made a comeback in the mid-2000s and quickly caught fire in the world of sneakers. Today, because of the new colorways and material combinations, it is considered one of the most popular retro running sneakers offered by Asics. People can find the Asics Gel Lyte III in black, white, grey, yellow and red, among other colorways.
Also, the silhouette of Asics Gel Lyte III has been used in different collaborative works to create a variety of innovative and revolutionary iterations for the followers, men and women alike. Some of the notable collaborations are:
- Kicks Lab x Asics Gel Lyte III “KL-Shinobi – released on March 31, 2018
- Beams x Afew x Asics Gel Lyte III “Orange Koi” – released on November 10, 2018
- Solebox x Atmos x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on October 13, 2018
- 24 Kilates x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on September 29, 2018
- La MJC x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on September 8, 2018
- x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on March 8, 2018
- Solebox x The Sun x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on August 23, 2018
- Patta x Asics Gel Lyte III – released on June 9, 2018
- Asics Gel Lyte III x Ronnie Fieg “Super Green” – Originally released in 2013 and the 3.1 version was released in 2016
- In 1992, the Asics Gel-Lyte III was gone, and the Asics Gel-Lyte Ultra superseded its popularity.
- To date, several shops have collaborated with Asics on the Gel-Lyte III.
- The original construction of the shoe includes the dual-density EVA midsole, nylon and synthetic suede upper, breathable mesh, 3M reflective detailing, and the usual Asics stripes.
- This version’s Lycra collar and sock liner enhance the comfortable feel right upon wearing the sneaker.
- The nubuck upper of this current model of the low-top Asics Gel-Lyte III adds a plush and luxurious look without taking the price higher than most people expected.