The spread of the coronavirus has resulted in avid gym member trends to shift to home fitness routines to keep themselves active. The shift has helped segments, like the yoga industry, stay afloat despite the temporary closure of gyms.
We went over 20 reports and market studies to deliver yoga industry highlights which includes growth in revenue for the yoga market, yoga clothing, yoga apps, and more.
Yoga industry revenue
- In 2019, the yoga market size (online and offline yoga courses and yoga accreditation training programs) was worth $37.4 billion and is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 9.6% from 2021 to 2027, to reach $66.2 billion at the end of the forecast period
- In 2017, the pilates and yoga studio market size was valued at $87.9 billion, growing at a CAGR of 11.7% from 2018 to 2025, reaching a market value of $215.8 billion by the end of the period
- Throughout a lifetime a yoga practitioner may spend an average of $62,640 on apparel, accessories, classes etc.
- The average monthly spending of yoga practitioners is $90
- Special or memorable yoga experiences can cost $40 to $100 for a single class
- An average yoga retreat costs $2,000 that lasts 6 to 10 days
Yoga regional market
In the US
- There are 21,668 yoga instructors who earn an average annual salary of $46,141 in 2021
- The state with the highest-paid yoga instructors is California with an average annual salary of $55,004
- Only 10% of yogis are paid $68,000 or more per year
- The hourly rate of yogis ranges from $15 to $30
- There are 47,011 yoga studios that accounted for $13 billion in market revenue in 2020
- The pilates and yoga studio market in Europe was worth $27 billion in 2019, growing 13.05% from 2021 to 2027, to reach a market value of $49 billion at the end of the forecast period
- As of 2020, there are 4,534 yoga studios in the UK that brought in total revenue of £659 million ($898.7 million)
- Yoga instructors earn an average of £27.54 ($37.42) per hour
- Germany logged revenues of $5.1 billion in 2019, growing at 12.7% annually from 2020 to 2027, to reach $9.1 billion by the end of the period
- In 2020, the yoga industry in China was expected to reach 46.8 billion yuan ($7.3 billion), an increase of 84.3% from 25.4 billion yuan ($3.9 billion) in 2017
- In Australia, the yoga industry was worth $567.5 billion in 2020 but its growth rate is expected to decline by 5.2% in 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic
- There are 3,222 yoga studios in Australia in 2020, employing about 9k people
Yoga clothing/apparel market
- From 2021 to 2025, the yoga clothing market is expected to grow by $13.8 billion at an annual rate of 6.8%
- 30% of the growth is expected to come from North America
- In 2018, the global yoga clothing market size was worth $31.3 billion
- The women's segment accounted for $20.7 billion of the total revenue
- Offline channel sales yoga apparel brought in revenue of $24.7 billion
- $11.9 billion of the total yoga clothing market revenue came from the Asia Pacific
- Between 2019 to 2025:
- Online sales of yoga clothes are expected to reach a CAGR of 6.9%
- The yoga clothing market in North America is expected to grow 7.4% annually
- Sales of yoga pants reached a global revenue of $11.7 billion, growing at a CAGR of 4.4% from 2020 to 2025, reaching a market value of $15.2 billion at the end of the forecast period
- One of the top-selling yoga clothes brands is lululemon which raked in $4.4 billion in 2020
- 64% of people wear sports clothes as everyday wear
Yoga equipment market
- The global yoga accessories (yoga mats, yoga straps, yoga blocks) industry is projected to increase by $5 billion between 2021 to 2025, at a CAGR of 6%
- The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the increased demand for yoga equipment by 154% as more people turned to at-home workouts
- The global yoga mat and exercise mat market size is valued at $11.7 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.3% from 2021 to 2026 when it is projected to reach $15.2 billion
- Yoga mats made of polyvinyl chloride accounted for 40.3% of the market share in 2018
- Yoga mat sales from physical stores is set to grow at a CAGR of 4.8% from 2019 to 2025
- Online sales of yoga mats is projected to grow 6.4% annually during the forecast period
- The Asia Pacific yoga mat market is expected to experience a growth rate of 7.3% during the said period
- The yoga strap segment is projected to reach a market value of $648/5 million by the end of 2026
RunRepeat hosts the largest collection of athletic shoe reviews from experts and users. We also feature in-house lab tested shoes so you can see what technologies are used in a pair and how durable they are.
You can also learn more about shoes by visiting our shoe guides page and how RunRepeat operates by visiting our FAQ page.
Use of content
- If the Benefits of Cardio piqued your interest and you want to know more, you can reach out to Nick Rizzo at email@example.com. He’d be happy to answer any queries. He’s also available for interviews.
- Data from this analysis is free to use for any online publication. We only request that you link back to this original source.