Salomon Effect GTX
Best price from 30 shops
We earn affiliate commissions at no extra cost to you when you buy through us.
31% say it's too small, 69% say it's true to size.
Overview of this review
Salomon Effect GTX notable features
The Effect GTX features several technologies that deliver comfort, protection, and performance for those who want to go light on their adventures. Its single-layer mesh upper contains a Gore-Tex membrane for water protection.
The shoe’s EnergyCell midsole, made of lightweight ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam, is responsible for cushioning. It comes with the brand’s proprietary Contagrip MD outsole to keep the user’s footing steady over virtually all types of surfaces.
Size and fit
The Salomon Effect GTX is a low-top shoe crafted for male and female hikers. It is available in standard width only while length options come in whole and half sizes. Its traditional lace closure system grants a precise and customizable fit. Moreover, this footgear runs generally true to size.
Granting users with surefootedness is the Salomon Effect GTX’s Contagrip MD outsole. It uses a multidirectional chevron lug pattern which renders traction on uneven ground conditions and slippery terrain. This component is made of a specialized rubber compound which makes it resistant to wear. It also extends upright towards the toe box for added protection from bumps.
The Effect GTX uses Salomon’s patented EnergyCell midsole to provide the user with cushioning and stability. It’s made of high-performance EVA foam which grants shock absorbency and energy return. The shoe’s diecut Ortholite footbed wicks excess moisture while offering added underfoot comfort.
Salomon’s Effect GTX features an upper made of a single layer of mesh fabric to keep the shoe light. It’s paired with a Gore-Tex membrane to protect the foot from wet conditions without compromising breathability. Its forefoot section is reinforced with a rubber rand while a protective mudguard wraps around the upper’s base. Both of these components deliver durability and protection.
The shoe’s lace closure system uses a series of fabric eyelets for fit adjustment. Its gusseted tongue stops debris from entering. Lastly, a pull tab is situated at the collar’s back to facilitate an easy on and off. The logo can be found on the heel overlay.
- Buyers who want more ankle support and protection may get a pair of sturdy hiking boots, such as the Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof or the Timberland Euro Hiker.
- Outdoor lovers who are planning to spend more than a day to conquer a trail should go for backpacking boots. An example from Salomon that can be considered is the Quest 4D 3 GTX.
Salomon Effect GTX versus Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX
The Effect GTX from Salomon and Adidas’ Terrex Swift R2 GTX are low-top hiking shoes that emphasize lightness, performance, and protection. The former has a mesh upper while the latter employs one made of Ripstop fabric. Both footwear models are equipped with a Gore-Tex liner to keep water out while allowing excess moisture to pass through.
These shoes feature lightweight EVA midsoles to render cushioning and stability. The Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX’s Traxion outsole employs L-shaped lugs to deliver grip on challenging terrain. It’s also made of Continental rubber to achieve wear-resistance.
On the other hand, the Salomon Effect GTX’s Contagrip outsole uses the brand’s trademarked rubber compound to make it durable. Moreover, this component features chevron-shaped lugs to supply surface traction.
Salomon Effect GTX care and maintenance guide
This low-top shoe for hikers requires regular care and maintenance to preserve its quality. As such, here are several tips from Salomon to increase the Effect GTX’s longevity:
- The Salomon Effect GTX should be cleaned after each use. The brand recommends using water and a soft brush to eliminate all traces of dirt and debris from this footwear model.
- This shoe should never be cleaned using a washing machine.
- The Effect GTX should be left in an airy place to dry after washing it. External sources of heat, such as the sun or a blowdryer, should not be used to speed the drying process up as it may affect the shoe’s quality.
- The brand recommends cleaning the hiker’s lining to prevent odor build-up and extending the product’s lifespan. Purchasers should always wear socks when using the Salomon Effect GTX to keep the lining durable and odor-free.
- The shoe’s midsole may accumulate dirt and mud during its use outdoors. This component should be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent untimely wearing and bacteria build up.
- The Salomon Effect GTX’s laces may sustain damage over time. When this happens, these laces might not provide a secure and customizable fit. They should be replaced when necessary.