In 2022, the value of NBA teams is $74.4 billion in total. Even though the Covid-19 outbreak affected the league by reducing the league's revenue by 19%, NBA teams' value increased by 11.7%.
We analyzed present and historic data to present you 56 stats about NBA team values.
NBA team values by year
- In 2022, the average NBA team value stands at $2.48 billion.
- Every team in the NBA is worth at least $1.5 billion, the first time in league history.
- 14 NBA teams are worth over $2 billion.
- 2022 was the third year in a row with the average NBA franchise value going over $2 billion.
- It is also the 8th year in a row with an average franchise value exceeding $1 billion.
- Over the last 10 years, the value of NBA teams increased by 390%.
- Since 2001, the increase in value has increased more than 10 times.
- During the 21st century, the yearly change in franchise values was negative only one time, a 3% decline in 2010.
Most valuable NBA teams
- The New York Knicks are the most valuable franchise in the NBA with a $5.8 billion valuation.
- Golden State Warriors ($5.6 billion) and Los Angeles Lakers ($5.5 billion) are the only others valued at over $5 billion.
- Memphis Grizzlies are the least valuable team in the NBA with a $1.5 billion valuation.
|Team||Team value ($ billion)|
|New York Knicks||$5.80|
|Golden State Warriors||$5.60|
|Los Angeles Lakers||$5.50|
|Los Angeles Clippers||$3.30|
|Portland Trail Blazers||$2.05|
|San Antonio Spurs||$1.98|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||$1.63|
|New Orleans Pelicans||$1.53|
NBA league net worth
The net worth of the NBA league increased significantly over the last 20 years. The biggest jump occurred in 2015 when the total value of NBA teams increased by 74.4%.
- 30 NBA teams combine for $74.4 billion in value for 2022.
- This is the third year in a row where the league's net worth exceeds $60 billion.
- The value of the NBA increased over 10 times since 2001.
- 2022 was the 12th straight year with an annual increase in NBA value.
- The total operating income of 30 NBA teams for the 2020/21 season was $738 million.
- This figure is a 60% drop compared to the previous year.
- 2020 was the first season with all 30 teams finishing with positive operating income.
- Utah Jazz had the largest operating income in 2021, with $96 million.
- The Jazz are followed by the Knicks ($71 million) and the Lakers ($63 million).
- Brooklyn Nets have the lowest operating income in the NBA with negative $80 million.
- They are followed by the Warriors with -$44 million.
- Over the last 11 years, 12 NBA teams didn't have one year with negative operating income.
NBA team values breakdown
Following Forbes' NBA team annual valuations, the value of the NBA franchise is based on 4 main factors - sport-related value, market value, current arena deal, and brand value.
While the significance of brand and market size in the team's value remained constant, values from sports and arenas changed significantly.
Sport-related value of NBA teams
Over the last 5 years, the values of NBA franchises dominantly derived from sport-related income.
- In 2022, 60% of the average team value came from the league's sports revenue share. This is a 73% increase compared to 2012.
- $44.5 billion is the total sports-related value for all 30 NBA teams in 2022.
- It is also 4th year in a row where sports-related value stands as the largest factor in NBA team value.
- 27 NBA teams in 2022 had sport value accounting for over 50% of the franchise's value.
- Utah Jazz ($829 million) are the only NBA team whose sports-related value doesn’t exceed $1 billion in 2022.
- Golden State Warriors ($2.88 billion) have the highest sports-related value, followed by the Bulls ($2.24 billion), and the Nets ($2.20 billion).
Market size value of NBA teams
Market size presents one of the determining factors when free agents chose a new team. Playing in big markets like New York or Los Angeles has always been more appealing than choosing Denver Nuggets.
Naturally, some NBA teams drive their value from the market size more than the others:
- Share of market size value in total team value was 25% in 2022, a 26% decrease from a 10-year average (34%).
- The total market size value of 30 NBA franchises stands at $18.5 billion, averaging $616 million per team.
- The Los Angeles Lakers market value is estimated at $2.52 billion in 2022. This amount exceeds the value of 21 NBA teams.
- Knicks ($2.45 billion) are the only other NBA franchise with a market value of over $2 billion.
- Golden State Warriors complete the list of teams whose market value exceeds $1 billion.
- New Orleans Pelicans have the smallest market size, valued at $158 million in 2021.
- OKC, Indiana Pacers, and Charlotte Hornets complete the list of teams with the smallest market size value in the NBA.
NBA arenas value
Playing in Chase Center or Madison Square Garden comes with a lot of financial benefits. Along with market size, huge arena deals help certain teams increase their value even after a forgettable season.
Covid-19 pandemic affected ticket sales, which led to a slight decline in the arena-related value of NBA teams. However, it is expected for this segment to remain a reliable source of revenue in the league.
- On average, arena-related value accounts for only 5% of total franchise value in the NBA.
- This is a decline of 78% compared to 2012.
- Arena's value for the average team in the NBA stands at $118.4 million, or $3.53 billion in total for all 30 franchises.
- Knicks’ Madison Square Garden is the largest generator of arena value in the NBA, worth $403 million in 2022.
- It's followed by Vivint Arena, whose value stands at $330 million.
Brand value of NBA teams
Similar to market size, some NBA franchises drive their value from their brand strength. However, the value of the brand accounts for ~10% of the team's value, and this has been consistent over the years.
- The average brand value of NBA teams is $262.4 million in 2021. This presents only 11% of the total franchise's value.
- The Golden State Warriors have the most valuable brand in the NBA, valued at $1.03 billion.
- The Lakers are in second place with $942 million in brand value, followed by the Knicks ($918 million), and Brooklyn Nets ($359 million).
- New Orleans Pelicans have the least valuable brand in the league with $81 million.
- They are followed by the Grizzlies ($86 million), and Pacers ($92 million).
- 5 NBA franchises have brand value standing below $100 million.
NBA teams debt
- 30 NBA teams combined for $8.03 billion in debt in 2022. This presents 12% of the total teams' value.
- Golden State Warriors have the largest debt in the NBA, standing at $1.12 billion.
- Sacramento Kings come second with $560 million in debt, followed by the Miami Heat with $437 million.
- Los Angeles Clippers have the smallest debt in the NBA, only $66 million in 2021. They are followed by the Dallas Mavericks ($108 million), and the Los Angeles Lakers ($110 million).
- In terms of debt as % of value, the Sacramento Kings have the largest debt in the league, accounting for 28% of the team's value.
- Memphis Grizzlies have 24% of the team's value committed to debt, while the Warriors need to service 20% of their value.
- Los Angeles Lakers' and Clippers’ debt accounts for only 2% of their value, and Dallas Mavericks have 4% of their value committed to debt.
Use of content
- Feel free to use any material from this page, as long as a reference is added to this original piece.
- Reach out to Dimitrije at email@example.com for any requests or questions about the graphics, text or print usage.
Using the innovative CoreScore rating system, RunRepeat helps you pick the best pair of basketball shoes. Also, we're constantly scanning the web to find you the best available deal for your favorite models.