Good to know
- The Topo Athletic Ultrafly is a running shoe that, while having a low profile, is designed to be the most cushioned shoe from the brand. It is intended to provide a natural ride suitable for daily training with its level of cushioning and support.
- Its rubber outsole runs the length of the shoe for increased durability and traction.
- With its 3-piece EVA midsole, there is a significant amount of cushioning and guidance throughout the gait cycle.
- An anatomical toe box is present to promote a more natural toe splay.
- The lightweight mesh upper with strategically-placed printed overlays and molded heel stays to provide a snug fit without dragging the foot down with unnecessary bulk.
The Ultrafly is a road running shoe that caters to neutral pronators and overpronators. As it delivers a roomy toe box, the shoe is suitable for users with a high-volume foot or those looking for a shoe that allows for a wide toe splay. Despite its cushioning, the shoe fits true to size. The available width profiles are D – Medium for men and B – Medium for women.
A thick carbon rubber makes up the entire length of the outsole of the Ultrafly. Featuring an aggressive, high-abrasion design, it aims to handle rough road excursions with its increased grip and durability. This outsole material is also used in the Ultrafly 2 running shoe.
Because it is a road running shoe, the Ultrafly’s outsole structure does not consist of gripping lugs, but instead it is designed with cutouts to provide traction on either rough or slippery pavement.
The midsole consists of a three-piece EVA with varying firmness: part one is a white portion, which is the main layer; part two is a unit on the medial side that is 12% harder than the white portion; part three is a small portion on the lateral side that is 10% softer than the main foam layer. This multi-density design allows for two levels of cushioning: soft against the foot and firmer against the ground.
While relatively dense, the midsole remains lightweight to allow easy running on uphill roads.
The firm unit on the medial side the of the platform acts as a stabilizing unit that amends overpronation. It evens out the running gait, thus preventing discomfort or discrepancies in the performance.
The upper is made of a lightweight mesh material that is designed to provide the sensation of having a second skin. It also has a breathable nature, so the foot won’t feel any buildup of heat or sweat. There are strategically-placed printed overlays that maintain the strength of the upper unit without adding weight.
With its spacious toe box, breathing room is given to the forefoot. It also allows the toes to spread naturally. It is covered by a rubber toe cap that is made wide and tall enough to prevent abrasions while running.
The heel collar is padded, yet semi-rigid. It wraps around the heel and keeps it securely in place. It is also designed to set the Achilles up for a snug fit.
The tongue is a lightly padded non-bootie construction that provides an adequate protection for the top of the foot.