For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 12.3ozWomen: 10.9oz
WidthMen: StandardWomen: Standard
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
88 / 100 based on 5 expert reviews
Overall, I'm really happy with this shoe.
Pound for pound, the Terrex Swift R2 packs a lot of punch.
[W]e think they're well worth the investment and are reasonably confident you'll fall in love with them too.
Light, fast, and fun, the athletic feel of the Terrex Swift R2 GTX soars past expectations.
Updates to Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX
- Adidas designers released the Terrex Swift R2 GTX to take hikers to various outdoor adventures in a light and fast approach. This version includes updates, both in materials and in design, which changed the facade of the shoe’s upper.
- It now comes with a ripstop mesh upper which provides abrasion resistance and protection on the trails. It is still equipped with a Gore-Tex laminate to keep wet elements at bay. A molded TPU toe cap shields the foot from accidental knocks.
- The first version employed the Adidas Adiprene foam. In this iteration of the Terrex Swift R GTX, a full-length ethylene-vinyl acetate or EVA midsole is featured. It has a thickened heel region to maximize shock absorption and is tapered on the rearfoot to enhance performance and roll-off motion. This design maintains the lightweight feel of the shoe.
- The Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX still carries the profile of the brand’s very own Traxion outsole. Its rubber compound, on the other hand, is improved. It is now made of Continental Rubber which grants surefootedness and grip on most types of terrain.
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX size and fit
The Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX is a lightweight hiking shoe for men and women. It comes in a range of whole and half sizes. It is available in medium (standard) width only. Both variants generally run true to size. Wearers can use its speed lace system to achieve a snug fit. Also, the Adidas women’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX comes in a specific fit.
The Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX hiking shoes wear a Traxion outsole. This sole has a tapered shape which promotes ground adhesion without putting pressure on the user’s foot. The L-shaped lugs anchor to the ground while the indentations render enough space for automatic shedding of accumulated mud. This mechanism helps prevent unwanted slipping on the trails.
The outsole of this day hiking shoe features the Continental Rubber Compound. This element enhances grip on dry and wet surfaces. At the rear end is a diagonal tread pattern which grants braking power during descents. At the front of the shoe, the sole extends slightly upwards to bolster protection against accidental bumps.
This Adidas Outdoor product wears an ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) midsole. This rubber-like material gives underfoot comfort without weighing the user’s foot down. It is paired with a textile footbed which promotes cushioning, thus optimizing comfort. The rear part of the insole is cupped to maintain the position of the heel.
The midsole unit extends to the upper for a bit on certain areas to securely hold the foot. This design boosts performance when tackling uneven terrain. Additionally, a heel to forefoot drop of about 9.5 mm provides smooth yet propulsive stride, especially when stepping forward.
The upper of the Terrex Swift R2 GTX uses a ripstop mesh. It is resistant to tearing thanks to the technique used in weaving this fabric. The thick threads are interwoven at regular intervals with a thin cloth. There are TPU overlays which support and help maintain the structure of the unit. They also enhance the shoe’s durability.
Lining the inside of this low-cut day hiking shoe is a Gore-Tex laminate. It gives protection against wet elements and keeps a ventilated in-shoe feel. This mechanism allows the user to tackle a wide range of outdoor conditions.
To provide extra protection on the trails, the front and rear part of the Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX are reinforced with molded TPU. It shields the foot from pain against accidental knocks, especially on rock-strewn trails.
Its lacing system facilitates quick adjustment of fit. It uses a bungee cord which passes through sets of loops and a pair of metal eyelets at the topmost part. A plastic clip locks the desired tension. At the lower part of its closure system is an elastic band labeled “lace bungee.” This extra piece of material tucks the excess lace to prevent it from dangling; hence keeping a hassle-free hike. Lastly, a pull tab at the heel allows easy on and off.
- The Terrex Swift R2 GTX is also available in non-GTX and mid-cut versions.
Care and Maintenance
The brand recommends the following tips in caring for the Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX to maintain the longevity and structure of the product:
- Gently remove accumulated dirt after each use with a soft bristled brush. Pay extra care not to scuff the material. Using a hard brush increases the risk of damaging the components (especially in the upper).
- In eliminating unwanted stains in the fabric, mix an eco-friendly soap with warm water. Using a washing cloth, carefully rub the stains until it is removed.
- In case of multiple stains, rinse the washing cloth in warm water first before proceeding to the other spots.
- After cleaning, dry the shoes at room temperature only. Never put it under direct sunlight. Placing newspapers inside may facilitate drying.
- To remove odor from the insole, apply a small amount of baking soda. This material and the laces should be replaced as necessary to maintain trail performance.
Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX vs. Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX
Adventurers who want to go fast and light on the trails may find themselves torn between the Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX and the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX.
Upper. The Terrex Swift R2 GTX uses a tear-resistant ripstop mesh while the X Ultra 3 GTX combines textile and synthetic fabric. With these materials, both day hiking shoes can keep its weight low without compromising durability and protection.
Upper protection. These products are designed with a rubber toe cap. This protective feature allows hikers to traverse rock-strewn trails safely.
Lacing system. Both hiking shoes come with a speed lacing system. The Terrex Swift R2 GTX has a bungee cord which is fed through sets of eyelets (metal and webbing). An added feature is their lace stow which prevents tangling of the cable. With the Salomon footgear, it has the trademarked Quicklace which permits quick on and off with its one-pull tightening mechanism.
Lining. Both shoes wear a Gore-Tex membrane for weather protection. The Salomon product specifically features the Gore-Tex Performance Comfort laminate which also offers a modest amount of insulation.
Footbed (Insole). These day hiking shoes are equipped with a removable insole to provide arch support and optimize underfoot comfort. The Adidas Terrex Swift R2 GTX has a standard textile footbed, and the Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX employs an Ortholite sockliner. The latter has an incorporated EVA heel cup for added stability.
Midsole. Both hikers use an ethylene-vinyl acetate or EVA for its midsole. This element is known for its lightness and ability to dissipate shock from ground impacts, rendering a cushy ride.
Underfoot support. Salomon’s brand designers added their very own Advanced Chassis in the X Ultra 3 GTX. It acts as a support frame under the foot which enhances stability without limiting flexibility.
Outsole. Adidas features their brand-owned Traxion outsole in the Terrex Swift R2 GTX. The engineers crafted it using Continental Rubber Compound which amplifies grip on wet conditions. On the other hand, the X Ultra 3 GTX employs a High Traction Contagrip outsole for optimal trail performance. It comes with the Salomon proprietary Descent Control technology, which as its name implies, provides control on downhill slopes.