Who should buy the North Face Safien GTX
The North Face Safien GTX is a great shoe for light hiking on well-maintained trails. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking shoe that offers good water intrusion and abrasion resistance.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that offers superior shock-absorption, energy return, and comfort.
- Prefer a hiking shoe that works well on dry ground.
The North Face Safien GTX notable features
- This max-comfort hiker from North Face has a TPU-coated mesh upper that is breathable and offers good resistance to abrasion. Inside is a Goretex membrane that offers protection against water intrusion.
- For its cushioning system, this shoe features the XtraFoam midsole system which is made of dual-density EVA foam that offers superior comfort, shock absorption, and energy return.
- Another interesting technology used in The North Face Safien GTX men's shoes is the proprietary EXTS outsole traction system which works well on dry ground.
Size and fit
The North Face Safien GTX hiking shoes are a low-top model with a moldable upper that creates a "glove-like" fit. It is quite roomy in the toe area and snug in the midfoot to prevent the foot from slipping forward. The heel cup, despite being firm, is also a bit roomy. Like most hiking shoes, this features a traditional lace-up closure for easy adjustment of the fit.
Provides traction on wet and dry terrain
This hiking shoe is equipped with a propriety outsole technology. It's made with two rubber compounds that, according to North Face, provide traction on wet and dry terrain.
Maintains the debris from getting stuck in between
It has shallow, multi-directional lugs and a unique hobnail structure that does not only creates a better grip but also keeps debris and sediments from getting stuck in between.
The FastFoam midsole is another element unique to many North Face models. It's a compression-molded EVA midsole that is less prone to abrasion and deformation. It's relatively thick to provide a good amount of cushioning and underfoot comfort. Nonetheless, it remains lightweight, which allows the wearer to survive long hours of walking without feeling tired.
Highly breathable and offers odor control
This shoe also comes with a removable Ortholite footbed that is highly breathable and offers odor control.
Abrasion-resistant and makes your feet stay cool
The Safien GTX has a TPU-coated mesh upper with a synthetic collar and overlays that resist abrasion and help keep the feet stay cool. It features a gusseted mesh tongue for keeping the debris out, a standard lacing system, and an integrated molded toe cap, mudguard, and heel for added protection. Furthermore, this shoe has the CRADLE™ heel-stability technology that works by absorbing impact and promoting a smooth transition.