For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
WidthMen: NormalWomen: Normal
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- The updates of this Keen Arroyo iteration are primarily evident in the design of its upper. These changes also helped reduce the weight of the sandal.
- Its upper now features premium leather from an LWG-certified tannery. The improved look of its upper further optimizes breathability. The secure fit lace capture system also makes a comeback in this version.
- The Keen Arroyo III sandal interior is still incorporated with Cleansport NXT for odor prevention. Likewise, its midsole and removable footbed both remain made of EVA. For extra support under the foot, it inherited the ESS shank from its older brother.
- Carrying on from its predecessor is a non-marking rubber outsole with 4 mm lugs. Its sole profile includes studs that provide 360-degree traction and toe and heel zones designed for ascents and descents.
The Arroyo III is a men’s-only Keen hiking sandal that fairly runs true to size. It is offered in medium (standard) width only and comes in a range of full and half sizes. The secure fit lace capture system, as its name implies, grants a secure fit and allows customization of overall volume.
The Arroyo III from Keen wears a non-marking rubber outsole. It includes 4 mm multidirectional lugs which adhere to various types of terrain. The aggressive cleats along the side also help stabilize each ride over rugged terrain. The studs are spaced to facilitate removal of accumulated debris. The front and end tips of the sole are ridged to aid in uphill and downhill slopes. Additionally, forming a protective toe guard is the brand-owned Keen.Protect feature.
With a compression molded ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) midsole, the Keen Arroyo III hiking sandals offer cushioning without weighing the user’s foot down. This lightweight element houses an ESS shank. It renders stability which also prevents unwanted twisting of the foot.
Moreover, a removable, metatomical bi-density EVA footbed sits atop the midsole to enhance comfort. This unit follows the natural contours of the foot to provide arch support.
The Cleansport NXT is an antimicrobial treatment which prevents the development of odor. It utilizes a pro-biotic technology which is non-toxic to humans and is safe for the environment.
The Arroyo III features a water-resistant nubuck upper. This durable material is designed like a ribcage which overlaps the midfoot region. Each flap has vent holes and is adequately spaced to promote ventilation when hiking in arid climates. Underneath is a tongue made of quick-dry lining for enhancing comfort.
Its secure fit lace capture system employs an elastic cord which is fed through a pair of webbing loops and three sets of leather loops. It is complemented by a plastic lock to help keep the tension in place.
The uppermost webbing (on both sides) is connected through the back of the sandal which yields support as users tighten the cord. This mechanism makes up the heel support structure of this sandal. Lastly, the pull tabs attached at the heel and top of its tongue assists in donning and doffing.
- The brand recommends using a leather cleaner and conditioner (available in shoe retailers and repair shops) to treat its daily wear and tear.