Reviews from around the internet
- Teva’s designers updated the Hurricane XLT to deliver enhanced comfort and grip. Carrying a vegan-friendly construction, its upper now uses a blend of polyester, nylon, and recycled P.E.T. The designers improved the heel strap by adding a cushion pad to promote a cozy feel.
- The Hurricane XLT2 inherited the EVA midsole from its older brother for lightweight cushioning. In terms of support, it is still equipped with a nylon shank underfoot.
- The brand’s very own Durabrasion Rubber outsole is carried on from its predecessor. It, however, was redesigned to optimize ground adherence.
The Teva Hurricane XLT2 is a hiking sandal for men and women who love the outdoors. Both styles are manufactured in medium (standard) width and full sizes only. Its hook-and-loop closure permits owners to fine-tune the overall fit.
According to the brand, the product runs true to size. Teva recommends getting the buyer’s actual shoe size. However, for individuals who are in between sizes and have a wide foot, it is suggested to go a half size up to get a wider fit.
Additionally, male hikers who prefer the fit of Teva women’s Hurricane XLT2 sandals may look at two sizes bigger than what they usually wear. Conversely, ladies (who wear men’s shoes) should get two sizes down.
This multi-sport sandal from Teva carries the brand-owned Durabrasion Rubber outsole. It is a sturdy unit which yields traction on most types of terrain. The angled lugs, whether situated at the sides or the center, amplifies its adherence on ground surfaces. The ridged forefoot area is designed to assist during ascents.
The Teva Hurricane XLT2 sport sandal wears an ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) midsole. This element is a rubber-like foam which provides cushioning and comfort without weighing the user’s foot down. It is paired with a nylon shank—a lightweight material that takes care of stability and support over rugged terrain.
The upper of Teva’s Hurricane XLT2 is made of a combination of polyester, nylon and recycled P.E.T. webbing. These materials create a water-ready quality and enable it to dry quickly after submerging in water. Its heel strap is cushioned which enhances comfort and eliminates chances of developing hot spots.
The fit can be managed using the Velcro strips at the heel, instep, and forefoot. There are injection-molded strap ends that allow quick adjustments and easy grip. The sandal also comes with a hook-and-loop design for donning and doffing with ease.
The brand recommends the following care tips in extending the life of Teva sandals.
- Clean the sandals every two to four weeks, depending on the frequency of use.
- Never machine wash the sandals. Manually clean it using antimicrobial soap and warm water. With the help of a soft bristled brush, carefully scrub away the dirt on the topsole and the outsole. Gently bend it to expose hidden grooves for a deeper clean.
- If odor persists after cleaning the sandals, try these tips:
- Create a mixture of one cup of antibacterial mouthwash and two cups of water. Submerge the sandals for 15 minutes then scrub gently. Air dry.
- Soak the sandals in a hot tub or chlorinated pool for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub and rinse in clean water. Air dry.
- Seal the clean sandals in a plastic bag. Put it in the freezer overnight.
- Dredge the sandals with a layer of baking soda and let it sit for 8 to 24 hours. Tie it in a plastic bag to amplify the odor-neutralizing effect of the baking soda.
The Hurricane XLT2 and Hurricane 4 share a huge resemblance which may give potential buyers a hard time deciding which pair of multi-sport sandals suit them best. Here are their similarities and differences.
Upper. The Hurricane XLT2 combines polyester, nylon and recycled P.E.T. while the Hurricane 4 employs polyester webbing for its upper. All the mentioned materials make the sandals quick-drying.
Closure system. Both models use a Velcro closure system. With its hook-and-loop design, customization of fit is easy and quick.
Midsole. Teva’s Hurricane XLT2 and Hurricane 4 use an EVA foam midsole. This component helps keep the weight of the sandal low without compromising comfort. The Hurricane 4, however, features ShocPad in the heel area which optimizes shock absorption upon ground contact. The said product also has Microban, a zinc-based treatment which wards off the development of odor.
Support. These lightweight hiking sandals from Teva come with a built-in nylon shank. This sturdy piece of material takes care of support and stability underfoot.
Outsole. The trademarked Durabrasion Rubber makes these Teva sandals grip on different ground surfaces. What makes them different from each other in this aspect is the placement and shape of the lugs differ. Additionally, the ridged toe area of the Hurricane XLT2 helps in tackling uphill slopes and the textured finish prevents accumulation of mud.
Availability and sizing options. These multi-sport sandals are available in whole sizes only, for both men and women variants. Generally, it is recommended to get one size bigger if in between sizes. A plus point for the Hurricane XLT2 is its vegan-friendly construction.