Who should buy the Scarpa Moraine Plus Mid GTX
The Scarpa Moraine Plus Mid GTX is a lightweight, high-performing boot that’s good for activities on and off the trail. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking boot that provides solid traction on uneven surfaces.
- Prefer a hiking boot that absorbs impact and provides a comfortable footbed.
- Prefer a hiking boot that offers protection against water.
Scarpa Moraine Plus Mid GTX notable features
- The boot has a Vibram outsole with a Dynatech design that features aggressive lugs deep enough to create solid traction on uneven surfaces.
- It comes with a dual-density EVA midsole that works by absorbing impact and providing the foot with a cushioning platform.
- This mid-top hiker is made with a Nubuck leather upper lined with a Gore-tex membrane that protects against rain or water.
Size and fit
This model is constructed using the Active Fit System that involves the use of gender-specific last for a more comfortable fit. Thus, you can expect that the Scarpa Moraine Plus Mid GTX men’s boots are structurally different from the women’s Scarpa Moraine Plus Mid GTX. The leather upper adapts to the shape of the foot while the traditional lace-up closure enables a custom fit.
Scarpa has tied with Vibram multiple times to create high-traction boots. For this model, they came up with the Dynatech 3 which has three essential characteristics: cushion, traction, and stability.
Provides grip on steep surfaces
The sole has deep lugs that create a solid grip on rocky terrains but are spaced enough to keep pebbles, mud, and debris from getting stuck in between. There are also lugs on the sole edges that provide grip and traction on steep surfaces.
Rigid and supportive cushioning
The Moraine Plus Mid GTX has a dual-density midsole wherein different spots tend to be firmer than the rest (usually in the heel and forefoot area). This is to ensure that the wearer gets the support, cushioning, and stability where they are needed the most.
The midsole is reinforced by an anti-torsional shank that secures the foot and helps prevent twisting.
Provides lateral stability
The shoe upper is constructed out of Nubuck leather. The collar has thick microfiber padding for increased support and cushioning around the ankle. It also features the Rear Heel Tension which provides lateral stability for the heel and a bellows tongue that keeps the dirt out.
There’s a lightweight Gore-tex lining that offers complete protection against external moisture.
Secure and custom fit
Lastly, the boot uses a dual-zone lacing system with loops on both the lower and upper sections for a secure and custom fit.
Nice to know
- Scarpa is a well-known brand for mountaineering boots. They create highly durable footwear for alpinists, mountaineers, professional hikers, and climbers. Two of their best-selling boots are the Scarpa Charmoz and the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX.
- The current model is the newest in their hiking and traveling footwear selections. It also comes in a low-top version.