Good to know
Much like the retro models of New Balance, the 993 is available in both men’s and women’s sizing. However, for the wide-footed sneakerheads, most reviews recommend getting it half a size up as the forefoot feels a tad too snug to their liking.
The padded tongue and heel not only provide ankle support but additional comfort and cushion as well. To adjust one’s snug preference is a traditional lace-up closure.
One does not need to be stylish when putting a pair of the New Balance Made in US 993. Because of the history of its series collection, runners and sneaker collectors alike have their own way of styling their 993s. Many find that the 993 is reminiscent mash-up of New Balance 990v4 and New Balance 990v5.
- Whether one is planning to do some light running or serious long walks, no one can go wrong with donning on a pair of New Balance 993 grey on feet. After all, it was originally released as a running shoe.
- Fashionably speaking, the dad-shoe seems to be a category on its own, and one can never go wrong when putting on some black joggers, plain white shirt, and NB993 sneakers in navy or black/grey colorway.
With a premium price tag comes with premium quality materials. New Balance Made in USA 993 features high-quality suede-mesh-nubuck upper for that plush, comfortable, and lightweight feel.
ABZORB DTS midsole provides optimal cushioning and smooth heel strike transition. Another stand-out feature is the ACTEVA™ cushioning piece that lasts long and does not deteriorate easily even after many uses.
Ndurance rubber outsole enhances durability in high wear areas of the shoe, translating to an extended operational life of the shoe.
The New Balance 993 is the fourth model released in the New Balance famous 99x series with the release of the first NB990 in 1982 as a performance shoe.
NB 990 gained popularity for being the “first running performance shoe priced at $100”.
Along with the release was a buzz for the expensive price tag it came along with as the manufacturing process was all done in the United States.
While running shoes at that time had bold, colorful, and neon makeups, New Balance veered away from this stereotype and went with its now-famous grey tonal scheme.
Because of its price, the 990 became a status symbol for individuals from various classes.
A mishmash of two shoes
The New Balance 993 was originally launched in 2008 as the final model to be included in the 99x series.
New Balance drew inspiration from the NB991 and NB992 models and combined elements from both models, then incorporated a more improved cushioning system with that signature grey tonal hue.
- “N” logo on medial and lateral sides are reflective, along with some reflective pieces along the heel and the lacing area.
- 993 is printed on the heel area of the lateral side.
- Parts of the USA flag is an underlay on the heel and tongue.
- “USA” underlay on the tongue indicates that the shoe is crafted in the USA.
- TPU sits in between the midsole and upper carrying the New Balance branding.