Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
- The Zamberlan 4000 Eiger Evo GTX RR is designed for ice climbing and mountaineering adventures. Though lighter than its predecessor, the design and materials used in the upper still provides warmth, comfort, and protection on trails.
- From the previous model’s triple density PU wedge, this remake wears a bi-density PU wedge integrated with the PCS EVO. Also, it comes with a lightweight Carbon Fiber Insole which also aids in insulation.
- From a Vibram Teton, it now sports the Vibram Penia. It offers enhanced grip on most types of terrain.
The 4000 Eiger Evo GTX RR from Zamberlan is a mountaineering boot for men. It is offered in standard width and regular sizes. Generally, it runs true to size.
The last used in this boot is the Zamberlan ZTECH. It has a technical profile which includes a low volume at the instep and high volume at the foot flex point. The plantar area has an asymmetrical downturned shape and a pronounced heel area.
To be able to tackle rugged terrain, the 4000 Eiger Evo GTX RR features a self-cleaning Vibram Penia outsole. The aggressive lugs on the side and center of the sole bite on the various surfaces. Its toe and heel area are designed with broader contact on the ground to assist on uphill and downhill slopes.
This high-cut mountaineering boot has a double density PU wedge. It uses shock absorbent layers, one at the rear and another at the forefoot. At the midfoot is a stiffer PU material for enhanced support. It is integrated with the brand’s PCS EVO which include TPU inserts at the heel and toe area to receive crampons.
This boot also comes with a light 5 mm Carbon Fiber Insole. Its top layer renders rigidity while its PE and aluminum layer promote insulation. The honeycomb grid inside the insole preserves the underfoot temperature to prevent cooling. Additionally, the removable footbed aids in heat retention.
The Zamberlan 4000 Eiger Evo GTX RR has an integrated gaiter made of stretch Cordura and PE-laminated Microfiber fabric. These materials yield an abrasion resistant and durable build. Its closure system is a YKK waterproof zipper. At the top part, along the lateral side is a strap. Once the user pulls it, the gaiter tightens around the leg. For added durability and protection, it is equipped with the Rubber Rand System (RRS) which wraps the base of the boot.
There are two variants of Gore-Tex laminate used in this mountaineering boot. The Gore-Tex Insulated Comfort lines the gaiter for a waterproof, breathable and warm protection. On the other hand, the moderately insulated Gore-Tex Performance Comfort is incorporated into the gussets to maintain an optimized performance.
Inside is a traditional lace-up closure which uses webbing eyelets and a pair of hooks. It helps create different tensions on the shaft and instep. A pull loop at the heel of the boot also aids in donning and doffing.
- This boot is compatible with automatic (step-in) crampons.
- This boot is certified by the CIMAC institute. It can handle temperatures as low as 20 degrees below zero Celsius (4 degrees below zero Fahrenheit) in a static environment and 30 degrees below zero Celsius (22 degrees below zero Fahrenheit) during motion.
- RR stands for rubber rand.