Who should buy the Vasque St. Elias FG GTX
With such amazing features, the St. Elias FG GTX perfectly fits the bill for anyone looking for a robust hiking boot they can take to some of the roughest terrain and extreme conditions. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking boot that delivers more comfort and skips the break-in period.
- Prefer a hiking boot that has a waterproof membrane for weather protection and grips well on varying surfaces.
- Prefer a hiking boot that creates a firm yet flexible platform for the foot.
Updates to Vasque St. Elias FG GTX
- The updated Vasque St. Elias FG GTX delivers more comfort and skips the break-in period. It features a premium full-grain leather upper, a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane for weather protection, and a robust Vibram outsole that grips well on varying surfaces.
- It's all-terrain PU midsole creates a firm yet flexible platform for the foot, which is further enhanced by a TPU shank that reduces the load incurred by the wearer's feet.
Size and fit
This hiker from Vasque is a high-top model that provides full coverage for the ankle. Its upper is made entirely of leather so it conforms nicely to the foot, resulting in a precise and comfortable fit. The collar is made from soft and smooth Nubuck leather which cuffs the ankle snugly. Furthermore, this boot has a lace-to-toe construction which means that the lacing system starts from the toe all the way to the collar. This type of closure delivers a secure and customized fit all throughout.
Balanced stiffness and flexibility
The St. Elias FG GTX boasts a durable Vibram outsole with the Frontier with XSTrek Compound. It's a special type of sole that is developed for backpacking and mountaineering. It's long-wearing, sticky, and has the right balance of stiffness and flexibility needed for you to traverse uneven ground and challenging trails safely and easily.
Excellent grip on rocks and slabs
This outsole has a lower profile lug pattern which delivers excellent grip on rocks and slabs. It also works well in mud and loose dirt.
This beefy backpacking boot has a midsole made of polyurethane (PU). Unlike EVA, PU doesn't compress over time so it is able to retain its qualities for a long, long time. Backpacking boots such as the St. Elias FG GTX highly benefit from PU midsoles because they're stiffer and hold up weight really well.
This hiker also has a TPU shank that provides additional support and protection. Additionally, it comes with a dual-density EVA footbed for more cushioning.
The Vasque St. Elias FG GTX has an upper made of full-grain leather. Lining its interior is a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane that ensures no moisture sneaks into your shoes. The upper features minimal seams for durability.
Provides toe protection
The parts are stitched with double seams throughout. It also has a rubber toe bumper molded to the outsole and stitched to the upper that adds to its robust construction.