Made of lightweight materials. They don't have much top-of-the-foot coverage so they're mostly suitable for well-maintained trails and summer hikes. Also useful for crossing rivers and streams. They come in open and closed-toe designs. See the best hiking sandals.
The low-cut equivalent of hiking boots. Comfort is paramount in the creation of these shoes so they often have flexible materials. Generally used for day hikes. See hiking shoes.
Mid to high-cut models designed for more aggressive hikes and backpacking. See hiking boots.
Specialized footwear. Often insulated and used in technical routes, ice climbing or expeditions. See mountaineering boots.
Good to know
For hikes that won't last for more than a day, go with hiking sandals or hiking shoes. Tackling trails with greater challenges will require hiking boots or mountaineering boots.
For multi-day trips with a heavy pack. Manufacturers emphasize durability and support in the creation of backpacking boots. See backpacking boots
Designed for users who want to cover a greater distance by going fast, usually with a light pack. See speed hiking shoes.
Boots that grant insulation to the user during hikes. See winter hiking boots.
Mainly sandals. Aside from hiking they can be used for other purposes such as water activities. See multi-sport hiking sandals.
Good to know
Casual hikers can choose day hiking footwear or multi-sport sandals. More info here.
Shoes with a cuff that goes below the ankle. See low-cut hiking shoes.
Good to know
Generally, for trails that are easy to tackle, go with low-cut shoes. Go mid to high if there are more trail obstacles.
WeightMen: 20ozWomen: 16.4oz
WidthMen: Normal, WideWomen: Normal, Wide
Experts are hikers, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
92 / 100 based on 2 expert reviews
The Vasque Breeze III is an outstanding hiking boot that lived up to its “Trust on the Trail” slogan.
These classic day hiker/backpacking boots are burly and breathable in one tough package.
Updates to Vasque Breeze III
- The Vasque Breeze III outsole is updated from the Vibram Contact to the Vibram Contact Grip. Created using the Megagrip compound, it offers traction on various terrains.
- Vasque’s All Terrain Compound (ATC) midsole is partnered with a compression molded EVA to deliver a cushioned and comfortable ride. The nylon shank stabilizes the foot while a dual density EVA footbed enhances comfort.
- This mid-cut day hiking boot retains the 2.0 mm nubuck leather with air mesh. This material combination gives water resistance and breathability. The toe and heel counters, as well as the mix of eyelets, add to the profile of the Breeze III.
- The Breeze III from Vasque is built on the Arc Tempo+ last. Unlike the previous Arc Tempo, the current one has a toe area that's straighter. It no longer curves around the pinky toe. It is also wider than the previous last.
Vasque Breeze III size and fit
The Vasque Breeze III is a day hiking boot for men and women. It fairly runs true to size and comes in full and half sizes. It is offered in standard and wide widths too. The locking ankle hook enables fit customization on the top and bottom part of the boot. The Breeze III is constructed on the Arc Tempo+ last that grants enough toe room.
The exclusive Vibram-Vasque outsole, the Contact Grip, is made of a Megagrip rubber compound. It creates a balance between stability and flexibility to increase ground sensitivity. This sole bites into various terrains, whether wet or dry.
The All Terrain Compound (ATC) midsole is a chassis for a compression molded EVA foam. This setup enhances rebound, compression resistance and torsional stability. The midsole unit has a rockered form to promote a smoother stride.
Adding up to the cushioning is a dual-density EVA footbed. Support and flexibility are being handled by a TPU shank.
The Breeze III from Vasque has a 2.0 mm nubuck leather with air mesh panels, making the boot breathable and resistant to water. The toe and heel counters have air vents to maximize airflow while adding durability. Webbing eyelets and hooks make up the lacing system and a pull tab at the heel assists in easier on and off.
- This boot is also available in low-cut and a GTX version.