The Vans Veggie Tan Leather Authentic DX low-top kick turns up to be stiff right out of the box. Consumers suggested giving this shoe an ample break-in time by wearing it as often as possible while clad in socks. The cushiony sockliner lends support and protection against impact. This unisex sneaker is available in women’s sizes from 5 to 14.5 US and men’s sizes 3.5 to 13 US.
This low-top iteration comes with a flesh-toned leather that replaces the regular canvas-made upper of the original Vans Authentic. Its light-shaded cover turns into rich caramel tinge over time through the proper aging process, wear, usage, and exposure to sun and environmental elements. The beauty of this veggie tan leather sneaker is its ability to develop a tan gradient and unique character the longer one uses it.
Apart from retaining the comfy feel of the original Vans Authentic, the major selling point of this deluxe edition is its beautiful vegetable tan leather. The initial state came almost without any pigment and is expected to develop its gorgeous caramel-colored dye through prolonged exposure to sunlight and other environmental elements.
The hype over veggie tan leather has been quickly thrown around following a series of releases of the Vanchetta leather. Starting from 2013, a Japanese brand Hender Scheme handcrafted sneaker reproductions such as the Vans Era, Vans Classic Slip-On, Nike Air Force 1, and Nike Air Jordan IV using such material. These kicks were considered must-buy grails by avid sneaker collectors as the price bracket stretched to as much as $1000 a pair.
Other brands like Vans trailed along the popularity of such kind of leather that in 2016 it dropped a vegetable tan leather pack, which includes the Vans Era, Vans Old Skool, Vans Slip-On, and Vans SK8-Hi Zip.
Not too long later, the brand launched the Vans Veggie Tan Leather Authentic DX. This sneaker upholds the classic vibe of the original 1966 silhouette and is outfitted with a deluxe leather body that has gone through the vegetable tanning process.
- This sneaker has an UltraCush sockliner that grants comfort.
- Underneath is the signature rubber waffle outsole.
- The Vans logo is debossed on a piece of leather at the midfoot.
- The Vans Off the Wall branding on the heel seemed washed off as it’s so lightly done.
- This sneaker went through a vegetable tanning process which is why the fresh pair comes in a very light, almost white leather.
- It takes time to build patina on vegetable tanned leather. To hasten the process a bit, it would be advisable to rub a thin layer of all-natural cleat oil on the smooth exterior side of a newly-bought Vans Veggie Tan Leather Authentic DX.