Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Generally, the Vans SK8-Hi Slim is available in men’s sizing. Yet, women can still cop a pair by getting 1.5 sizes down from the men’s sizing to get their exact fit. It has a high-top silhouette that offers decent ankle protection.
With a slimmed-down profile, this sneaker has a suede, canvas or leather upper that allows adequate air circulation, keeping the feet fresh. For a secured lockdown and adjustable fit, a lace-up closure is installed on the upper. It also has a Die-cut EVA footbed to provide comfort all day. The traditional and vulcanized rubber outsole provides a reliable grip.
The Vans SK8-Hi Slim has perforations on the toe area for added breathability while the iconic Vans Sidestripe complements the upper’s straightforward design. It also has triple stitching on the collar for added design. With a beautiful and versatile design, the Vans SK8-Hi Slim has a classic look with a modern update that can match a myriad of casual outfits. Men and women can mix and pair this sneaker with jeans, shorts, joggers and khaki pants. Women can also pair them with skirts or dresses.
Below are some of the ways women can style their Vans SK8-Hi Slim shoes like a celebrity:
- Like Olivia Palermo, you can wear the Vans SK8-Hi Slim with a two-toned leather style to get a more sophisticated look. This shoe may also perfectly go well with menswear coat and liquid leggings.
- As Blake Lively did, you can color-coordinate your pair with fitted jeans and a super cool leather jacket.
- Same with the model Miranda, you can elevate your black pair of Vans SK8-Hi Slim sneakers with slim-fitted jeans or leggings, then a navy blue turtleneck shirt and a camel topper.
- Like the supermodel’s daughter Kaia Gerber, ladies can stylishly wear their Vans SK8-Hi Slim shoes with a mini-dress to get a fun look with a sporty vibe.
- Same with Olivia Wilde, you can wear a pair of white Vans SK8-Hi Slim and match it with a color-blocked skirt with a white shirt and black leather jacket for a mod-meets-feminine look.
- As Zendaya Coleman stylishly carried her look, you can also wear your black pair with a white and long-layered shirt and a blue denim coat.
- Like the star Ruby Rose, girls can also upgrade their casual ensembles such as black sleeveless and white capri pants by matching these with a pair of white Vans SK8-Hi Slim shoes.
For men on the other hand, below are some of the suggested ways to style the Vans SK8-Hi Slim sneakers:
- For a plain and neutral getup, men can wear their white or black Vans SK8-Hi Slim sneakers and match them with a plain white shirt and cuffed denim jeans.
- A pair of Vans SK8-Hi Slim shoes looks good with smart trousers, a blazer and a shirt for a slightly smart look without going too
- A pair of slim jeans, a shirt, and a textured jacket also works perfectly with the Vans SK8-Hi Slim sneakers for a smart casual look.
Inspired by the skate heritage, the Vans SK8-Hi Slim has a style that keeps on ticking. It maintains that aesthetic of the classic with a modern slimmed-down silhouette, providing a more feminine vibe and look.
In March 1966, Serge D’ Elia and Gordon Lee, together with Jim and Paul Van Doren, founded the Van Doren Company in Anaheim, California. Initially, Vans released the “Authentic” or the “Style#44.” It was among the innovative and comfortable shoes that were functional enough to meet the performance needed by BMXers and skateboarders, among other athletes.
The Vans SK8-Hi Slim is a slimmed-down iteration of the high-top and lace-up sneaker that features a durable upper with padded tongue and heel counter as well as rubber outsoles, providing flexibility, comfort, and support. It has a fashion-forward design that can quickly go well with a variety of outfits. This sneaker can be comfortably worn on long walks and other everyday activities.
The history of the SK8-Hi Slim started back in 1977 when the “Style#36” or also known as the Old Skool was launched. However, the “Style#36” didn’t provide the ankle protection that skateboarders needed. To address the need for ankle protection, the “Style#37” was launched. It was a skate shoe with a mid-top silhouette.
But still was not enough; therefore, the SK8-Hi Pro or the “Style#38” was launched. With a high-top silhouette, it has a mixture of canvas and leather uppers that sit atop a vulcanized outsole. It provided reliable ankle support and protection.
Like the Old Skool, the SK8-Hi is among Vans’ iconic silhouettes that bear the SideStripe which was formerly known as the “Jazz Stripe.” This recognizable Vans’ marker was first launched in 1977. The SideStripe is made of leather material that is incorporated in the sides of the upper that not only creates an added style but also provides increased durability. As of today, the SK8-Hi continues to be the SideStripe’s quintessential ambassador.
Vans also has been working with celebrities, brands, retailers and other companies to produce updated and improved footwear using the silhouette of SK8-Hi in over 100 collaborative works for many decades. Some of the personalities and companies that Vans has partnered with were Disney, Marc Jacobs, Niagara, Supreme, Thrasher, and Bones Bridges.
- Other versions of SK8-Hi Slim by Vans don an upper with floral designs such as the Moody Floral SK8-Hi Slim, Motif Floral SK8-Hi Slim, Tapestry Floral SK8-Hi Slim, and Galaxy SK8-Hi Slim.
- There is also an iteration of SK8-Hi Slim with gum-colored signature waffle outsoles. Another comes with a zipper on the heel for fast and easy slip on/off.
- The Vans logo is patched on the tongue.