Extremely popular sneakers because of their price range, versatility when it comes to style, and freedom of movement. Almost everyone is guaranteed to have low-top sneakers in their shoe rotation.
Mid-top sneakers extend toward the ankle for a little more support and hold. These lie somewhere in the middle between low-top and high-top sneakers in terms of usage and popularity.
Sneakers with collars that go above the ankles for optimal hold and support are some of the most sought-after models in lifestyle shoes. Most of these shoes take their roots from basketball and have easily or fashionably crossed to mainstream wear.
Good to know
Regardless of cut, it's always good to start with sneakers that can be worn for the daily grind, also called as "beaters" by some, as these are usually cheaper, easy to clean, and still gives that lifestyle "edge" before going for those wallet-thinning models.
Sneakers dominantly take their heritage from running, basketball, skate, tennis, training, hiking, and football. Still retaining a few of their performance-based technologies, these sneakers have transcended their respective niches and have successfully and popularly transformed themselves as staples of fashion footwear.
Sneakers designed for a laidback, "cool" vibe that is built for lifestyle wear right from the get-go.
Good to know
Brands are now blending elements of performance and casual appeal in basically every sneaker. One can hardly go wrong with a sports-inspired sneaker or a simple casual shoe.
Good to know
Shoes sharing the same inspiration, history, materials, or technologies are routinely assembled under one compilation for the convenience of those who may wish to categorize or label their own collection as such. The classic collections like the Adidas Originals, Air Max 1, Air Force 1, new balance classic sneakers, and the Classic Leather head the pack of frequently asked about collections.
Experts are sneaker fanatics, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
Vans SK8-Hi Lite History
Paul and Jim Van Doren, together with Serge D’Elia and Gordon Lee, founded the Van Doren Company in Anaheim, California in March 1966. Initially, the company released the “Style#44” or also known as the “Authentic.” From then, a myriad of comfortable and stylish Vans shoes that would meet the performance needed by skateboarders, BMXers, and other athletes have been released.
Vans also launched the “Style #36” aka the Old Skool which was intended to address the skateboarding’s wear and tear. However, the Old Skool wasn’t able to provide the ankle protection needed. Therefore, later on, Vans launched a skate shoe with a mid-top silhouette known as the “Style#37,” but still it wasn’t enough. Finally, the “Style#38” or also known as the SK8-Hi Pro was launched. It had a combination of leather and canvas uppers built on a high-top silhouette, providing reliable ankle protection and support.
Inspired by the “Style#38”, the Vans SK8-Hi Lite has a re-engineered silhouette built with a modern construction to provide an improved fit and increased comfort. It still maintains the aesthetic of the classic Sk8-Hi but with a reduced overall weight, keeping the foot more relax and comfortable. With a streamlined design, this sneaker can be comfortably worn by ladies and gentlemen and paired with a variety of casual clothing. The shoe also fits the bill for standing or walking all day.
With almost 40 years of participating actively in fashion and sports scenes, the Vans Sk8-Hi silhouette has maintained its presence in the sneaker market. It has been updated and improved as well as utilized in over 100 collaborative works. Some of the known celebrities, retailers and companies that had partnered with Vans and rework this silhouette are Niagara, Thrasher, Supreme, Disney, Marc Jacobs, Mastermind Japan, Footpatrol, Taka Hayashi, Bows and Arrows, Noah, WTAPS, NASA, Marvel, Off-White and Bones Bridges.
Vans SK8-Hi Lite Style
With a unisex style, the Vans SK8-Hi Lite has a high-top silhouette that gives adequate ankle support and protection. It has triple stitching on the collar while the Vans Sidestripe emblem on the side utilizes a leather material. This unisex sneaker, which is lighter and slimmer than the classic version, has a straightforward design but can match a variety of outfits. It has colorways available including Port Royal/True White and Black/White.
Check out some of the suggested ways to style the Vans SK8-Hi Lite Sneakers:
- Men and women can stylishly rock their Vans SK8-Hi Lite shoes with joggers and a shirt, as well as an optional jersey, for a comfortable feel with a sporty vibe.
- The Vans SK8-Hi Lite skating shoes, when paired with slim-fitted and distressed jeans and topped with a plain shirt, can result in a laidback look.
- Ladies can also wear this unisex sneaker and match it with dresses for a more stylish appeal combined with a feminine touch.
- The Vans SK8-Hi Lite for women looks perfectly great when paired with a leather skirt, providing comfort and a chic look.
- Women can wear their pair of high-top sneakers and comfortably rock them with a summer dress for a simple casual look on a nice warm day.
- Without any fuss, women can rock their Van SK8-Hi Lite shoes a black shirt, an oversized jacket and ripped denim shorts.
- For a more formal appeal, ladies can match their tights with their white pair of high-top sneakers.
- Men may wear their black Vans SK8-Hi Lite shoes with all-white ensembles such as white denim jeans and a white plain shirt, providing a contemporary and straightforward look.
- A pair of high-top shoes like the Vans SK8-Hi can help achieve a sophisticated look when old or young men match it with above-ankle cuffed denim pants along with a plain shirt and a grey suit.
- Boys can wear skinny jeans that are also rolled-up above the ankle to match their high-top sneakers. They may pair them with a plain shirt and a jersey for a casual look with a bit of a sporty vibe.
- If men want to have a cozy yet stylish outfit on a nice sunny day, they may wear a camouflage knee-length short together with a graphic or plain shirt to match with a pair of Vans SK8-Hi Lite shoes.
Fit & Sizing
The Vans SK8-Hi Lite is available in men’s sizing from 3.5 to 13 US, but if ladies want to grab a pair, then they just need to pick 1.5 sizes down than their usual since the foot measurement was taken from the men’s sizing. The shoe fits true to size. It has a lace-up closure that allows an adjustable fit and secured lockdown.
This lace-up sneaker features a combination of 170 grams canvas and cow suede uppers that offer adequate ventilation. For all-day comfort, it has heel cushioning, padded collar and cushioned footbed. It has flexible midsole and rubber outsole, providing support and a sure-footed grip.
With the Vans SK8-Hi Lite, you can forget that you are wearing a shoe because it is so lightweight. It has the Ultra Cush Lite sock liners that ensure long-lasting comfort. The Ultra Cush technology not only provides improved comfort but also increased flexibility. This lace-up sneaker also utilizes the Actionfit technology which provides a higher heel height, creating a more balanced feel in every stride.
- Another variation of the Vans SK8-Hi Lite has an upper of an all-canvas material with colorways including Black/Black, True White, and True White/True White.
- A checkerboard-patterned designed upper is also available.
- For support and superior durability, the Reinforced Duracap toe bumper, as well as upper Ollie underlays, are installed.
- The heel height measures one inch.
- It has a circumference of 8 inches.
- The shaft measures 4.5 inches.