Experts are training geeks, who post reviews at youtube, directly at RunRepeat or at their own websites. Each expert is categorized from level 1 to level 5 based on expertise. See stats on expert reviews and how we calculate scores here.
Are you an expert? Apply to contribute here.
89 / 100 based on 6 expert reviews
All things considered, the Project Rock 1’s are a HUGE upgrade over the Rock Delta’s in terms of training performance and I can easily recommend them if you wanted something a little different from the norm, or you just liked the Rock.
If you’re a fan of The Rock and like high-top training shoes, then the UA Project Rock 1 might be a great fit for you!
It's been nothing but phenomenal. I can walk around in it all day.
A fantastic performer for anybody who's doing any kind of training except for sprint work and rope climbs. Outside of those two things, they're really fantastic.
Definitely a nice shoe. Can't go wrong with these. They feel really feel good on feet.
Great job, Under Armour and the Rock!
- The Under Armour Project Rock 1 is the second release of the brand’s collaboration with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, a former professional WWE wrestler who turned into a popular Hollywood actor. The Rock is known for his impeccable physique. Hence, the construction of the footwear is inspired by his commitment to fitness and training.
- This training shoe from Under Armour features a cleatie-styled upper for additional ankle support. Even though the shoe is designed with a mid-cut collar, it does not restrict the movements due to its sock-like nature. The upper unit is made a lightweight and fully knit material for compression-like comfort that offers lateral support. The fabric is also breathable to keep the interiors cool and fresh.
- The midsole is made of the brand’s proprietary Micro G technology. It is designed to be thinner than the standard EVA foam thus reducing the overall weight of the trainer as well as keeping the wearer closer to the ground for better control during dynamic movements. Its responsive nature absorbs impact and converts it into energy transfer for explosive takeoffs.
- Keeping the heel steady during weightlifting is the thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) heel wedge. This firm yet lightweight compound does not let the foam compress under heavy loads.
- A rubber material entirely makes up the composition of the outsole. It is marked with a strategically placed knobbed texture for next-level traction and durability.
The Under Armour Project Rock 1 is created with the foot dimension and the biomechanics of men in mind. It is reported to run larger than usual, so shoppers are recommended to go half-a-size to a full size down when ordering. The sizing ranges from US 7 to 16. The shoe only comes in a standard D - Medium width but features a wide toe box for a comfortable toe splay.
A rubber compound lines the entire bottom of the Under Armour Project Rock 1. It is textured with a strategically placed knobbed pattern for traction on different types of surfaces. It also serves to enhance the durability of the outsole.
The Under Armour Project Rock 1 employs the Micro G foam for underfoot cushioning. It is crafted to be 30% thinner than other foam midsoles to reduce the weight while having the same shock-absorbing and responsive functionalities. It transforms impact into propulsion power for reactive takeoffs. It also helps in keeping the wearer’s feet closer to the ground for improved proprioception and maneuverability.
At the heel section of the midsole, a firmer compound is placed. This part is made of a lightweight yet tough TPU material which solidifies the base to make it stable and incompressible while weightlifting.
The Under Armour Project Rock 1 has a knit textile that is fashioned into a cleatie construction for a comfortable and sock-like fit. The material is lightweight and breathable, but still firm enough to give lateral support for side-to-side movements.
The synthetic overlays wrap around the heel extending to the medial areas for sturdiness. They also protect the fabric from rips and tears.
An external heel counter can be found on the rearfoot section. It keeps the foot steady and prevents wobbling and heel slippage.
Right over the heel counter is the Rock’s signature logo. The famed Brahma Bull is stitched on the rear piece of the upper.
A traditional lacing system, coupled with forefoot webbing, secures the trainer on the foot. Users can adjust the fit according to their preference.
Since the shoe has a constricted mouth, a pull tab is attached at the top of the heel. It makes slipping on the footgear a lot easier.
- The official release of the Under Armour Project Rock 1 was timed to coincide with the US Memorial Day on May 28th. This fact is hardly surprising given Dwayne Johnson’s patriotic spirit. The shoe’s original colorway pays tribute to the United States with the use of blue, red, and white hues.
- Even though Under Armour has collaborated with the Rock before, the Project Rock 1 is the first signature trainer which has actually been co-designed with the celebrity. The brand has also taken into account the drawbacks of the Under Armour Project Rock Delta, a shoe released earlier, to make sure that the new product meets all of the training demands. The major gripe about the first trainer concerned the fact that it was built on the basis of a running shoe. It made the platform of the footwear ill-fitting for the weightlifting aspect of gym workouts. That’s why the Under Armour Project Rock 1 features an entirely new approach in the construction of its sole. It employs a thinner Micro G foam for better ground contact and a TPU heel wedge for a sturdy pressing surface. The use of a soft knit material in the upper has also made the shoe more flexible and breathable than its earlier counterpart.