Who should buy the Under Armour Horizon 50
The Under Armour Horizon 50 is meant for trail runners who need a good balance of cushioning and flexibility. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking boot that provides a good level of traction.
- Prefer a hiking boot that offers ample cushioning and support.
- Prefer a hiking boot that can prevent debris from entering.
Under Armour Horizon 50 notable features
- At only 337 grams, this Under Armour hiker is truly lightweight for its class. It is powered by the Zonal rubber outsole that provides a good level of traction on varying surfaces, and a dual-density EVA midsole that offers ample cushioning and support.
- What makes this boot even more unique and protective is the Lycra-based stretch collar that prevents debris from entering.
Size and fit
The Horizon 50 by Under Armour is a mid-cut trail boot that has sizes available for men and women. The stretch collar might make it a bit challenging to get your foot into the shoe but once there, you can expect a snug fit. This hiker also features a traditional lace-up closure for easy adjustment of the fit whenever needed.
Provides grip and traction
This model has a zonal outsole that features different lug shapes in different areas. More aggressive tread patterns can be noticed on the heel and toe area where grip and traction are mostly needed.
No mud or dirt gets stuck in between
There is sufficient spacing between the lugs so no mud or dirt gets stuck in between.
Comfortable and supportive cushioning
The shoe midsole is made with EVA of two varying densities to ensure that the foot gets the softness (cushion) and firmness (support) where needed. This means that some areas of the midsole are more rigid while the rest is more flexible.
Quick-drying and very much breathable
For the upper, the boot features quick-drying mesh fabric. This material is also much lighter than leather and is very much breathable. For these reasons, the Horizon 50 hiker makes ideal footwear for the warmer months or in tropical terrains. Even if it isn’t waterproof, you still can hop into streams or walk on wet grass because mesh uppers dry up pretty fast.
Offers extra protection against scrapes and sharp objects
The shoe also comes with a welded TPU toe cap that offers extra protection against scrapes and sharp objects. Additionally, there is an ultrasonically welded heel that has high abrasion-resistance qualities.
Nice to know
- If you prefer a low-cut hiking boot, you can check out UA Horizon RTT. It features a durable, high-traction rubber sole, a full-length EVA foam reinforced by a propriety cushioning material, and a synthetic upper. This model is also available in plenty of different colors.
- If you need a shoe that offers a great deal of support, you’re better off with a high-cut model like the Under Armour Infil Ops GTX. Despite its robust construction, this waterproof boot is lightweight. It also comes with a waterproof membrane, called Gore-tex.