Good to know
Another unisex shoe from Vans, the Vans Checkerboard Era is available in men’s and women’s sizing. This lace-up sneaker has a sturdy canvas upper that offers sufficient foot breathability.
It also has a flexible midsole that delivers optimum support and comfort. For extra comfort and protection, this Vans Era has a nicely padded collar and tongue as well as a die-cut EVA insert.
The Vans Era has different versions but remains stylish and comfortable. Some have a suede leather or canvas upper, or a combination of both. The Vans Era with checkerboard print on the heel cup and toe box areas has a solid color tone on the tongue and lace guard areas, providing an overall distinguishable and unique design. It has double stitching on the vamp for added style and durability.
WIth a fashion-forward look, the Era with checkerboard print from Vans displays versatility which can quickly match a variety of casual ensembles. There are numerous ways for men to wear this shoe with style. Among them are:
- If you want a casual yet stylish look, you can opt for a red crew-neck shirt and cuffed black denim jeans, then match them with the low-top Vans Era Checkerboard in a black and white colorway.
- For men who are all about comfort when it comes to style, they can wear light blue ripped denim shorts and a burgundy-colored crew-neck shirt to match this low-top sneaker for a little creative ensemble.
- The Vans Era Checkerboard in blue and green colorways look perfect when paired with light blue or green skinny jeans and a green print tank. This ensemble is ideal for those who are such an aficionado of practicality dressing.
- For wearers who are an enthusiast of relaxed dressing, they can have an effortless combination of skinny navy jeans, a red shirt, and a navy windbreaker.
- Men can also rock black or blue denim jeans and a black shirt under a navy leather bomber jacket for a casual yet an on-trend look with uncompromising comfort.
While women, on the other hand, can check out the suggestion below:
- For an all-black outfit, ladies can rock their Vans Era Checkerboard in black and white and match it with a black top, black jacket and black tights.
- Blue is the most used color in summer. Therefore, women can definitely rock their Vans Era Checkerboard in blue and pair it with a navy blue jumpsuit with shorts.
- On a winter day, wearers can match their black and white low-top sneakers with a black and white patterned loose sweater and white skin tight jeans.
- For those girls in high school, they have the option to comfortably and stylishly wear any colored sweater and cuffed distressed denim jeans and match them with the Vans New Era Checkerboard in any colorway.
- This sneaker can also make a perfect match with ripped denim shorts and a white or any colored shirt, providing a straightforward look as well as comfort on a hot or sunny day.
- During a cold day, girls can still definitely wear this shoe and match it with a sweater with a half sleeves tank top and white or black tights, offering comfort and a casual look.
Among the striking features of this version of the Vans Era is its tough canvas upper that features the iconic Vans checkerboard pattern. This iconic pattern is printed in different vibrant colorways that are classic enough to match a variety of casual ensembles.
In March 1966, the Van Doren Company was founded by Paul and Jim Van Doren, along with their friends Serge D’Elia and Gordon Lee, in Anaheim, California. Vans has introduced and released a variety of sneakers that became popular with skateboarders and BMXers, among other athletes, because of comfort and style.
One of the brand’s revolutionary shoes is the Vans Era or also known before as Style 95. Released in 1976, the Vans Era was designed by Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta. It looks similar to the Vans Authentic, but the Era has a more padded heel collar and tongue, providing better foot protection to skateboarders. The Era is available in a variety of colorways and prints.
The Checkerboard Pattern
One of the most coveted prints, the Checkerboard pattern was initially introduced in the late ‘70s on the Style 48. The Style 48, the classic slip-on with the checkerboard print all over the upper, became a global icon when it was featured on a film called the Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It was seen rocked by the character of Jeff Spicoli as part of his Southern California uniform, making the Checkerboard Slip-on an international icon. Since then, the Checkerboard pattern has also been used and applied to other Vans silhouette such as the SK8-Hi, Authentic and Old Skool.
Era Silhouette and Checkerboard Print Fusion
Fusing the Checkerboard pattern and the silhouette then simply comes the low-top Vans Checkerboard Era. It has a sturdy canvas upper and flexible midsole, offering breathability, flexibility, and comfort. It also has a durable and vulcanized rubber outsole for reliable traction. The Vans Checkerboard Era is an epitome of style, comfort, and performance that not only skateboarders can wish for.
For over five decades, the silhouette of the Vans Era also has been used in different collaborative works. Among the retailers, brands, celebrities and companies that Vans partnered with were Wood Wood, Nonnative, Ray Barbee, Disney, WTAPS, Simple Union, Opening Ceremony, BILLY’S ENT, Kyle Ng, Undercover, A Tribe Called Quest, Fear Of God, Commissary, Brain Dead, Saint Alfred,, and SANKUANZ.
- The Vans New Era Checkerboard is available in different colorways like Lapis Blue/ True White, Black/ White, Neptune Green/ True White, Marshmallow/ Black, and Strawberry Pink/ True White.
- It has a lace-up closure system with metal eyelets that gives a flexible fit.
- The Vans Era Checkerboard men's shoe weighs approximately 15 oz.
- It has a vulcanized outsole with the signature waffle tread pattern that delivers superior grip.
- Another Era iteration with the iconic checkerboard pattern is the Primary Check Era which has the combination of suede and canvas uppers.