Topo Athletic Ultraventure 2: Prioritizing a natural ride
Unlike other brands involving themselves in the "superfoam wars," Topo is making a clear statement with the Ultraventure 2 — they are targeting the niche market of natural running. How? There are two elements of the shoe that make up its natural ride:
- It's a "classic EVA ride," meaning it's not designed to give you a snappy toe-off or a very lively ride.
- The shoe doesn't have a crazy stack. It's low to the ground, allowing you to feel the surface beneath you.
These don't necessarily make the Topo Ultraventure 2 a bad shoe. To put it simply, how the shoe performs is all up to you — if you go fast, it goes fast, and if you want to mellow down your pace, it can too — which is the essence of natural running.
Ultraventure 2 vs 1: A better update!
The general consensus on the changes adopted by the second iteration of the Ultravneture series is that it's a welcome upgrade. The upper is more breathable and lighter. A TPU heel counter is also incorporated to secure heel fit. Lastly, the midsole has been revamped using a three-piece injected-EVA midsole for better stability.
Topo's trail lineup
- Ultraventure 2 - The "workhorse" of the bunch.
- Ultraventure Pro - If you want a rock plate for better protection out on the trails, this the shoe for you.
- MTN Racer - It's lighter and faster — totally designed for races!
What is it for?
Speed: slow to moderate paces
Distances: short to long distances
- steep technical trails
- packed gravel/dirt
- packed snow
- rocky slab
- buffed-out surfaces
- ultra-running distances