Shimano RC901: An uncompromising competition shoe
Banking on its predecessor's good feedback, the Shimano RC901 quickly rose to prominence and became one of the most consistent entries in numerous top-rated road bike shoe lists and reviews. The combination of its premium materials, optimum comfort, and ultimate power transmission have earned seasoned cyclists' praises.
In its second iteration, the RC901 maintains its first-rate features and efficiency for road time trial competitions and extensive training sessions.
What sets the RC901 apart from the rest?
The RC901 is also considered as Shimano’s most premium offering in its current entire footwear line-up for the following reasons:
- Stiffest race-level outsole. The shoe’s full carbon outsole has a rating of 12 out of 12 in Shimano’s stiffness index chart. This means that every watt of energy exerted by the wearer in pedaling is used to propel them forward.
- Accommodates most feet sizes. The exclusive S-Phyre technology is engineered to take in most foot sizes and shapes. It works together with the BOA dials to provide a comfortably snug fit, no matter the foot form.
- Sleek style. Displaying a minimal yet elegant design, it appeals to both veteran and modern riders alike.
Shimano RC900 vs. RC901: What's the difference?
Released two years apart, the RC901 replaced the RC900 and brings with it a few updates. Below are the updates to help you decide if you need to upgrade to the latest:
- Smoother textile. From the RC900’s dimpled fabric that almost resembled a golf ball, the RC901 now features a smooth one-piece Teijin Avail material. This newer material also employs more perforations for enhanced airflow and less retention of moisture as well.
- Improved toe box. The mesh panel in the toe area of the original RC900 has been eliminated as it was a common complaint that it caused creasing. Shimano says that the smoother toe box provides better aerodynamics.
- Better heel fit. On the rear end of the shoe, the external heel cup of the RC901 has been modified to accommodate a wider variety of foot shapes without sacrificing security and lockdown.
- Socks no longer added. The RC900 came with a pair of S-Phyre socks, which is said to be the perfect companion to the shoes. Although Shimano still offers these socks, a sample pair is no longer included with a Shimano RC901 purchase.
Ultimately, these subtle updates are stemmed from the RC900’s feedback and are aimed to make the RC901 more comfortable and more supportive.