Salomon Index.01: The first 100% recyclable running shoe
- The upper of the Index.01 is made with recycled pet bottles.
- It is designed to be easily disassembled. To do this, the following are implemented:
- The seams are made with recycled polyester so they can simply be recycled with the rest of the upper.
- The upper and TPU midsole are also engineered to be separated for uncomplicated recycling.
- To attach the upper to the rest of the shoe, a water-based glue has been used.
- Lastly, the Salomon Index.01 is only offered in one colorway — white. Experts assume that this is to avoid the usage of toxic chemicals.
Now the real question is, how do you return the shoe to Salomon for recycling? After you've maxed out the shoe's life, you can simply return it to Salomon's regional recycling stations (set up all over the world) free of charge.
Index.01: Where does it fit performance-wise?
It's undeniable that the Salomon Index.01 sports a clean, simple aesthetic that's perfect for casual days. But when it comes to running, the shoe's cushion and durability allow it to shine in the following activities:
- daily running
- long-distance runs