Good to know
- Designed for extended winter treks, the Lowa Tibet Superwarm GTX offers protection and comfort even when the temperature drops at a very low point. Its upper is teeming with technologies which grant insulation and waterproofing. It also enables a secure foot lockdown.
- Its DuraPU midsole with SPS system promotes proper gait and walking comfort. The Hard Winter Shank and Climate Control footbed render support and cushioning, respectively.
- Its cemented (board-lasted) construction allows the boot to be resoled (meaning, the sole can be replaced) as needed, for a cost. Its Vibram rubber outsole is optimized to grip on ice and snow.
The Lowa Tibet Superwarm GTX is a winter hiking boot for men and women. It comes in medium width and regular sizes. It generally runs true to size. Its lacing system, which includes the I-lock and FlexFit allows fit customization.
The outsole of this hiking boot is the Vibram Mottarone Arctic Grip. It is formulated using the Ice Trek compound which offers optimal grip on ice and snow. Its rubber composition also allows it to be used indoors. Its aggressive lugs assist on uphill and downhill slopes.
This mid-cut winter hiking boot is equipped with the DuraPU midsole. Its dense PU material offers durable cushioning and absorbs shock from ground impacts. It works with the Supination Pronation Support (SPS) System which uses TPU inserts in the forefoot and rearfoot areas for a more comfortable ride. It is also compatible with crampons.
The Tibet Superwarm GTX employs an underfoot joint called Hard Winter Shank. Aside from providing stability, it has an insulating layer for warmth. To further enhance comfort, the boot comes with a Climate Control footbed.
The designers combine two leather types: nubuck and buffalo leather (2.2 - 2.4 mm) in the upper of the Tibet Superwarm GTX. Aside from giving this Lowa boot a distinctive finish, this combination allows it to breathe and adapt to varying temperatures. It is constructed with minimal seams to eliminate pressure points. A waterproof Gore-Tex Duratherm and Primaloft 400 g (synthetic insulation) lining optimize heat retention in wintry conditions. A high wall rubber rand wraps the boot for added durability. Additionally, the holes in its padded collar expel moisture and heat.
This winter hiking boot features an asymmetrical C4 tongue. Its design promotes comfort and enhances flexion. At its top section is a knob which is part of the X-lacing system. It helps keep the tongue in place and distributes pressure evenly.
The lacing hardware of the Tibet Superwarm GTX includes metal loops, roller eyelets, and hooks among others. There are three pairs of regular hooks (starting from the top) in the men’s version, while the women’s has two pairs. Following the hooks is a component called the FlexFit—a special lacing system which uses a flexible lace loop (webbing plus hook near the ankle) and a flex zone. Just under FlexFit is the I-lock, a patented cam lace loop which allows different tensions on the shaft and the instep area.
- This boot is compatible with strap-on crampons.
- This model has a non-insulated version called Lowa Tibet GTX.