Updates to La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX
- Belonging to the Trango series, the Trango Ice Cube GTX is claimed to be a lightweight yet tough gear for any technical alpine conditions. They have equipped this mountaineering boot with the Cube outsole, a Vibram-made component which grips and secures every step on any ground. It has the brand’s Impact Brake System which maximizes shock absorption for optimal comfort.
- The midsole is crafted using a combination of polyurethane (PU) and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) which work together to enhance comfort and cushioning. Heat retention, on the other hand, is aided by the 3 mm HoneyComb Tech footbed.
- A protective, flexible and durable upper is what La Sportiva designers aimed for when they crafted the features of the Trango Ice Cube GTX. The seamless construction using the Thermo Tech Injection and the insulated Gore-Tex laminate heightens the boot’s waterproofness. Its integrated gaiter uses a Schoeller fabric to render extra protection against snow, screes and water splashes. The 3D Flex System manages maneuverability while the PU TechLite rand reinforces the upper.
Size and fit
The La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX is a unisex alpine boot. Based on the brand’s size chart, women have to go a size lower to get the right fit. It generally runs true to size. The footgear is available in standard width and sizes. Additionally, La Sportiva footwear is built on European half sizes. It has smaller increments than US sizing which give users more size options for a better fit. Its lacing system runs through the gaiter with an eyelet and allows differential tension on the cuff and forefoot.
The La Sportiva Cube, created by Vibram, is incorporated with the Impact Brake System. It features a unique arrangement of the lugs which helps absorb ground impacts. This design enhances traction and downhill grip. The combined effect of this system is tantamount to reduced fatigue on long miles.
The midsole of the La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX is made from materials which render a lightweight, durable and comfortable boot. The heel and toe areas are equipped with shock-absorbent graded TPU inserts, which are also assigned to receive crampons; polyurethane (PU), which works against constant compression and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) on the central and heel zones provide cushioning.
The 3 mm HoneyComb Tech footbed promises a warm and pleasant in-shoe environment. This insulated insole is rigid and secures a firm grip when tackling terrains.
This high-cut mountaineering boot from La Sportiva uses an abrasion-resistant fabric. This material is fused with the other parts of the boot through the Thermo Tech Injection technology (also known as thermoplastic urethane). It is a particular technique that eliminates the need for stitching, thereby reducing weight and increasing resistance to water.
The Trango Ice Cube GTX is equipped with a Schoeller gaiter that is elastic, water-resistant and insusceptible to scrapes. It has a thermo-sealed, water-repellent zip that can withstand extreme temperatures. Likewise, it gives additional protection against snow and trail debris.
To enhance foot control on mixed terrain and secure the heel, La Sportiva has incorporated their 3D Flex System in this boot. It enables the ankle to move freely and naturally without compromising stability.
Gore-Tex Insulated Comfort, the membrane that lines the upper, gives a breathable, waterproof and heat-retaining environment. With the setup of this feature, the foot can withstand cold weather conditions. The PU TechLite rand that wraps the Trango Ice Cube GTX adds a layer of insulation as well as protection against accidental knocks.
- The Climbing magazine selected the La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX as Editor’s Choice in 2017.
- The Cube sole is also known as the Vibram One sole.
- This mountaineering boot is vegan-friendly.
- The Trango Ice Cube GTX is compatible with automatic (step-in) crampons.