The Hoka Kaha GTX is one tough shoe you can take to your fall or winter adventures or during trips around town. Lots of people love it for being greatly supportive, stable, and grippy. This backpacking shoe may be plush like a pair of runners, but nevertheless has the features and performance you need to stay safe on multi-day trips.
- Comfortable cushioning
- Keeps the feet warm and dry
- Incredibly supportive
- Superb grip
- Too big
Who should buy the Hoka Kaha GTX
The Hoka Kaha GTX is touted as one of the most comfortable outdoor boots on the market. It is a solid option if you:
- Prefer a hiking boot that is highly resistant to wear and tear.
- Prefer a hiking boot that protects the foot against rain or water.
- Prefer a hiking boot that offers traction on all types of terrain.
Updates to Hoka Kaha GTX
- This GTX version of the Hoka Kaha comes in a full-grain leather upper that is highly resistant to wear and tear. Lining the shoe interior is a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane, which protects the foot against rain or water.
- It features a Vibram Megagrip outsole that offers traction on all types of terrain - wet or dry. Between the upper and the sole is an EVA foam, which acts as a supportive and comfortable base for the feet.
Size and fit
The Kaha GTX is a mid-top model in which the collar extends above the ankle for support and protection. It has a wide toe box that promotes the natural movement of the foot and a massive footbed that increases the ground contact surface. The leather upper conforms to the shape of the foot for a snug fit while the lacing system can be pulled tightly for a surefooted step.
Excellent traction on wet and dry surfaces
This boot is among the many premium shoes that feature a Vibram outsole. In particular, it has the Megagrip sole with multidirectional lugs for enhanced traction on wet and dry surfaces.
The lugs are 5mm deep, which is quite aggressive and will most likely bite into soft soil, loose dirt, and muddy ground.
Durable and responsive cushioning
The shoe midsole is made of EVA - a lightweight synthetic foam that is touted for its durability, impact absorption, and responsiveness. It allows the wearer to clock in more miles without causing too much pressure on the feet.
For the insole, the Kaha GTX features a massive footbed also made of EVA which offers plush comfort for the foot. It's removable so you can have it replaced if you prefer or require a specialized insole.
Makes every step quicker and more comfortable
This boot has a rockered shape which means that the footbed is low in the center and raised at the toe and heel. This unique structure promotes gait patterns, making every step quicker and more comfortable.
High resistance against wear and tear
The entire upper is made of full-grain leather, which offers high resistance against wear and tear, and at the same time helps block water from getting inside the shoe. Inside is a Gore-Tex membrane that reinforces the boot's waterproofing structure.
Nice to know
- Hoka is a relatively new brand of athletic shoes based in France (established in 2009). Their footwear products are basically marketed as running shoes but they have specific models that are highly suitable for hiking and other outdoor activities.